Am I crazy? Canon EF 300mm F/4L IS

MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
edited April 22, 2008 in Cameras
I suppose the more I get into this photography hobby, the more critical I become of my images. I almost exclusively photograph birds. I have a 500mm prime lens that I love. It is sharp and crisp as long as I have it mounted on my tripod.

My walk-around birding lens has been a Canon 100mm-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS telephoto. Lately though, and especially since I have seen what my 500mm prime produces, I feel that my current telephoto zoom lens is just not sharp enough. I have also seen what other people have produced with the 300mm. The detail is quite awesome!

I was thinking of selling it and buying the 300mm prime + a TC. Even with the TC, I feel the images would be sharper and I would actually end up with more reach as there is no way I am attaching a TC to my zoom telephoto.

Am I crazy or is my thinking about right?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 20, 2008
    If possible, rent the 300mm f4 and determine for yourself. I do suspect you would like the prime but you give up quite a bit of versatility in the lens you already have.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Maestro wrote:
    Am I crazy or is my thinking about right?

rolleyes1.gifCrazy is a relative term in this regard!

The 300L f/4 + 1.4 has been my main lens for some time. It is very good...no complaints.

As you may know, I just purchased the 100-400 and so far am very pleased.

Take your pick...there is no drastic difference in either as far as I am concerned.

The 100-400 has more applications for walking through the woods type shots where you have no idea what opportunity is going to present itself. The 300 alone is great but too short for birds in general. Add the tc and you're right back to the same thing you get at 400 with the 100-400. Catch 22!

One benefit of the 300 is that it makes a fine closeup lens if you like a shot of a flower or a bug once in awhile.

I also have the 400 DO IS 'cause I ain't carrying a 500 around.

My answer then is there is no answer. That had to be helpful! :D
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    IMHO no, you aren't crazy to think about it. I am thinking about gettling longer reach than my 70-200 allows. I've tried a 100-400 and didn't care for it. The next lens I'm looking at is the 300/4L (IS). I'm also considering the Sigma 100-300/4 and Tamron 200-500, but the Canon prime looks likethe best bet. I'm also awaiting reviews on the new Sigmas to see how they measure up. There's a lot of choices in that range & it seems like several are quite good.
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I was lucky...
    Photography equipment is always a series of choices and compromises...

I have a friend who is still a professional photographer (I have long since retired) and who needed some faster glass for a contract that he gained shooting some sports at night.

My friend sold me both his mint 300mm f/4L IS and 400mm f/5.6L IS primes for just a bit more than what a new 100-400mm L zoom would heve cost me.

I owned the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens and the Canon 1.4x TC before I bought both the L primes from my friend.

Since, I have several bodies to use, I can be equipped with a variety of focal lengths.

I am traveling to Alaska this summer and intend to do a lot of fishing and quite a bit of photography. Since I am flying (I usually travel by motorhome so weight is not an issue); I have to be a bit conservative regarding weight. This is especially true since I also need to carry a bunch of fishing tackle and an amount of layered clothing for the quirky Alaska weather.

I have decided to carry the 300mm f/4L lens with 1.4x TC along with the 70-200mm f/4L IS and my go-to glass, the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens. I will carry two bodies, plus monopod (tripod would just be too much) and my notebook computer.

I like my selection of lenses and since i don't travel by plane very often, they suit me just fine. However, since I am flying - the 100-400mm IS lens might just take the place of BOTH 70-200mm and 300mm lens and the 1.4x TC. That would certainly cut down the weight considerably.

I might buy one on the used market and see if I like it enough to make it my travel lens for the Alaska trip. I could always sell it if I don't like it or if I no longer need it after the trip! I am thinking that it would probably be a better investment to buy and then sell rather than rent the lens for a two week period.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    I want to be as crazy as yourolleyes1.gif

Just starting to have interest on bird photo, I am currently using the 70-200 F2.8 with the 2X TC. It is rather enough for causal bird shooter. Just wonder how should I proceed for the more serious bird shooter.
    It may be good for me to jump into the 500 mm F4 IS straight and add the 1.4X. I am using 5D. So i can get the combination of the focal lenghts of 70-200 for short range close shooting, add the 1.4X then become 100 to 280 or with the 2X become 140 -400, then the 500 can be come 700 with 1.4x or 1000 with the 2x. Not sure if I put both 1.4X and 2X together on the 500 then become 1400mm :ivar :ivar
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/