capitol columns

JonMikalJonMikal Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited April 29, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
these columns began their life on the east portico of the u s capitol building in 1828. they were quarried from sandstone near aquia creek in virginia and were barged to washington in the early days of our country, before the familiar capitol dome was completed. their stay at the capitol was to be limited by an oversight. the dome of the capitol, completed in 1864, appeared as if it was not adequately supported by the columns because the iron dome that was ultimately built was significantly larger than the dome that the designer envisioned. an addition to the east side of the capitol was proposed to eliminate this unsettling illusion, but it was not constructed until 1958.

kinda thought they looked neat ir.
thanks for looking.

234026753_cG4Wd-L.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    JonMikal wrote:
    these columns began their life on the east portico of the u s capitol building in 1828. they were quarried from sandstone near aquia creek in virginia and were barged to washington in the early days of our country, before the familiar capitol dome was completed. their stay at the capitol was to be limited by an oversight. the dome of the capitol, completed in 1864, appeared as if it was not adequately supported by the columns because the iron dome that was ultimately built was significantly larger than the dome that the designer envisioned. an addition to the east side of the capitol was proposed to eliminate this unsettling illusion, but it was not constructed until 1958.

kinda thought they looked neat ir.
    thanks for looking.

I would never have guessed USA as being the place you took this shot Jon.
    They look really cool in IR, I can't wait to get an IR Converted body.

You've done a real nice job with this shot. clap.gif
    The colourization works well too thumb.gif Really Nice Shot .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    They do look neat in IR.
    Very interesting story around a very nice shot. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    It's a nice IR shot and a interesting story to go with it......thumb.gif azzaro
  • JonMikalJonMikal Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    thanks everyone!
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    I never knew those existed! Beautiful shot! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather