New Year in the Smokies

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited November 15, 2010 in Landscapes
Nick (gluwater) processed his photos much faster than I did. I finally got around to doing mine so here are two of them.

PS to Nick: Enjoyed meeting your friends, the great meal and the great company while we were shooting in one of my favorite places.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Click on the images for EXIF data.

Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains NP

282137514_HjHYY-O-1.jpg

Rapids on the Middle Prong of Little River beside the old Tremont logging road in the Great Smoky Mountains NP

282281544_22NhL-O.jpg
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• annaelycmannaelycm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    The first one is just gorgeous! Spent many a morning in north Alabama, looking out to scenes like that. Thank you for bringing back the memories!
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Real beauties, Dixie! Thanks for sharing them. The color in the first is really swe-eet!

ann
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I was wondering how/why Nick's thread from January got bumped in April! lol3.gif

I love your shots of the countryside. No matter where you are, there seems to be peace.

The mountain in the mist in the first totally makes it. The second had such vibrant blues and reds that go together so well. Great shots! thumb.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    clap.gif WOW Dixie. Both of these shots are stunners. Great Job!!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 21, 2008
    I need to make it out to the Smokies. Some great looking spots there.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    annaelycm wrote:
    The first one is just gorgeous! Spent many a morning in north Alabama, looking out to scenes like that. Thank you for bringing back the memories!

Anna,

These were taken in eastern Tennessee in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The location is about 230 miles from where I live in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in northeast Alabama. Thank you for the kind comments.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    edited April 21, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Real beauties, Dixie! Thanks for sharing them. The color in the first is really swe-eet!

ann

Thanks, Ann. I'm trying to get through a backlog so I'm ready to head to the Moab shootout. I expect that I will be seeing you there.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited April 21, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I was wondering how/why Nick's thread from January got bumped in April! lol3.gif

I love your shots of the countryside. No matter where you are, there seems to be peace.

The mountain in the mist in the first totally makes it. The second had such vibrant blues and reds that go together so well. Great shots! thumb.gif

Thanks, schmoo. Yes, I had to go digging to see what Nick put up from the trip. We weren't together for all of our shots, but the ones taken on Tremont were taken while we were together. The light was working for us at Tremont. The early morning deer shot was taken the day after Nick left to head home. However, he did get to see quite a few while we were shooting together in Cades Cove.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited April 21, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    clap.gif WOW Dixie. Both of these shots are stunners. Great Job!!

Thanks, Aaron. Your comments are appreciated.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited April 21, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    I need to make it out to the Smokies. Some great looking spots there.

Ian,

Just let me know when you are headed this way and I will do everything I can to meet you there. I've been shooting there for years and never get tired of it. In fact, my wife and I are headed up there on Wednesday to stay through the weekend shooting in Cades Cove, Tremont and probably Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Dixie
    These shots are stunners. Great Job!!bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

There are definitely some good photo opportunities in the Smokies. I love the Deer in the fog. Tremont and roaring Fork offer stunning water shots.

It appears I am just north of your location 32 mile marker off of I 65.
    edited April 21, 2008
    jsmiley wrote:
    Dixie
    These shots are stunners. Great Job!!bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

There are definitely some good photo opportunities in the Smokies. I love the Deer in the fog. Tremont and roaring Fork offer stunning water shots.

It appears I am just north of your location 32 mile marker off of I 65.

Thanks, John.

I'm actually about 70 miles west of I-65 and about 90 south of the TN state line. I'm north of I-20 about 20 miles just a few miles inside the Alabama state line from Georgia.

As I stated in another thread - let me know when you are heading towards the GSMNP and I'll try to meet you there. I never need much of an excuse to head that way.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited April 21, 2008
    Dixie wrote:
    Thanks, John.

I'm actually about 70 miles west of I-65 and about 90 south of the TN state line. I'm north of I-20 about 20 miles just a few miles inside the Alabama state line from Georgia.

As I stated in another thread - let me know when you are heading towards the GSMNP and I'll try to meet you there. I never need much of an excuse to head that way.

Thanks Dixie

I'll have to pass on this one work you know but two years 11 months and that won't be an issue.
    Actually my wife and I have been real close to your location, Piedmont Alabama we were down there on the chief Ladiga bike trail.

But someday will make it.thumb.gif
    edited April 21, 2008
    jsmiley wrote:
    Thanks Dixie

I'll have to pass on this one work you know but two years 11 months and that won't be an issue.
    Actually my wife and I have been real close to your location, Piedmont Alabama we were down there on the chief Ladiga bike trail.

But someday will make it.thumb.gif

I live just south of Piedmont in Jacksonville.

Chief Ladiga Trail is part of the Rail-to-Trails program. Have you been on it since the portion through Heflin County has been completed? You can now go from Anniston, AL to Atlanta, GA on the trail since the Ladiga trail now joins up with the Silver Comet Trail in Georgia.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited April 21, 2008
    Dixie wrote:
    I live just south of Piedmont in Jacksonville.

Chief Ladiga Trail is part of the Rail-to-Trails program. Have you been on it since the portion through Heflin County has been completed? You can now go from Anniston, AL to Atlanta, GA on the trail since the Ladiga trail now joins up with the Silver Comet Trail in Georgia.

When we rode the trail, a new section had just opened. That was probably thru
    Heflin County, but not sure. We rode east into GA and stopped at a small town
    where there was a train depot. Ate at a small authentic Mexican restaurant. By the time we headed back to Piedmont the sun was high and hot.
    edited April 22, 2008
    jsmiley wrote:
    When we rode the trail, a new section had just opened. That was probably thru
    Heflin County, but not sure. We rode east into GA and stopped at a small town
    where there was a train depot. Ate at a small authentic Mexican restaurant. By the time we headed back to Piedmont the sun was high and hot.

Yes, you rode the new section. I had ridden that section when it was still covered with gravel and cinders. That was a rough go.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Dixie wrote:
    Nick (gluwater) processed his photos much faster than I did. I finally got around to doing mine so here are two of them.

PS to Nick: Enjoyed meeting your friends, the great meal and the great company while we were shooting in one of my favorite places.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Click on the images for EXIF data.

Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains NP
    I was wondering if I was ever going to get to see what you got on our little trip. I had a great time and can't wait until I get to do it again. My friends and I enjoyed having you for dinner and the company was appreciated in the park. These are great shots, you really know how to find and capture the right light.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited April 27, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    I was wondering if I was ever going to get to see what you got on our little trip. I had a great time and can't wait until I get to do it again. My friends and I enjoyed having you for dinner and the company was appreciated in the park. These are great shots, you really know how to find and capture the right light.

Nick,

I've been a little behind this year with the processing. I hope to do some more over the next several months. I will be leaving May 1 for the west coast on a motorcycle and then back to Wash DC, but I should be home by the last week in May. Thank you for the comments.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • ir robbieir robbie Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    Beautiful images,love the serene mood of the first one.
    Ir fanatic
    edited November 15, 2010
    ir robbie wrote: »
    Beautiful images,love the serene mood of the first one.

Thank you for your kind comments.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie