Magic hour at Long's Peak

boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited April 21, 2008 in Landscapes
So I've been wanting to ski Long's Peak for a while now. This weekend conditions were finally ideal and I set out on my quest. I went out on a solo mission Friday evening and bivouac'ed near Chasm Lake. The next day I set out to conquer Long's via Mills Glacier and Lambs Slide, which made for a great ski descent on the way back. Here's some panoramas I've managed to take (Canon 40D w/ Tamron 11-18mm, handlheld).

#1. Sun setting as I'm hiking towards Chasm Lake
(Weak attempt to push light into the dark areas, going to try again with CS3's HDR feature)
281900321_fUzXb-L.jpg

#2. Moon Rising
281900662_avwjn-L.jpg

#3. Moon over valley (town of Longmont, I believe)
281901065_nWsnA-L.jpg

#4. Sunrise on my hike to Mills Glacier
281901672_aMiHG-L.jpg

#5. Long's Peak in Sunrise
281903598_rkzc4-L.jpg

#6. Lambs Slide
281897179_vd5QD-L.jpg

#7. Ski tracks
281897695_aFQjQ-L.jpg

#8. Frozen Chasm Lake
281899049_MfgRW-L.jpg

Enjoy! Criticism & feedback appreciated!
_Bernardo
Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
Bogen 055XPROB
Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV

Comments

• PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Now you're talking my language my friend. Having grown up at the foot of Longs Peak, its always great to see it again. Thanks for the great memories. How was the shelf underneath Chasm Lake? Was it pretty perilous? As I recall, that area gets pretty icy at this time of year. I also recall Broadway pitching quite a bit of melting ice towards the bottom face of the lake as well. Needless to say, I didnt venture on too many winter climbs beyond Keeners Route. As my old friend Walt Tishma used to say "The Diamond Route is for ze crazy of heart".

As for the photos themselves, #3 and #7 were great stuff. For a critique perspective, I'd try to mix in a soft grad nd .6 or .9 filter in instead of a hard filter if you can. The lines are very harsh and a bit softer edge would really help your quest in controlling the light on the portions you tried to hold back. Thanks again for sharing clap.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    What wonderful photos of such a beautiful place. Can't pick a fav as I like them all thumb.gif
  • satorisatori Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2008
    Thank you for sharing!

Awesome views of a place I've only seen from the ground. :)
  • ReeflectionsReeflections Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Looks like quite the place! Nice bunch of shots.

Lambs slide is spectacular. The shadows make it shine.

I think Ski Tracks would be my fav except for the, well, ski tracks. :D I guess you would have to be there right after the snow fell to avoid that.
    Aloha!
    Mike

Just one more thing to buy and I'll have everything I need. ;)

Reeflections Gallery
    Underwater Photography Workshops & Ikelite equipment
  • boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Haha, thanks for the kind words guys! As a skier, Ski Tracks is my favourite exactly because it has ski tracks :D It's my proof that I skied it. I could've taken a shot without tracks before I started hiking up.

Pezpix, I'll look into those filters & see what I get by softening up the images a little. Thanks for the hint & the good words. Pyramid Peak ski descent is scheduled for next weekend, and climbing Long's Diamond are next on my list :D
    Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
    Bogen 055XPROB
    Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV