edited April 4, 2005 in The Big Picture
previous quotes of the week:

march 26, 2005

march 19, 2005

march 12, 2005

march 5, 2005

february 26, 2005

february 19, 2005

this week's quote is by bob croxford, landscaper...
Photography is like fishing. You go out in the morning with no idea of what the trip will bring. Sometimes luck is on your side and all your crab pots are full of prime Lobsters. Other times you get nothing. -Bob Croxford, "From Cornwall With Love" by Bob Croxford

Technique is a matter of individual preferences. It bores me. I am only interested in results. However I do offer a few guiding rules of photography.
1/ My essential equipment includes an alarm clock towake up early and a compass to find where the sun is going to be. I also have a small double pointed quartz crystal which sits in my camera bag with the exposed film and helps to increase sharpness!
2/ The best light occurs when I am stuck in the office with the VAT man or have left my camera at home.
3/ If I wait for perfect conditions someone will park a truck in the view.
4/ The most I have waited in the rain for conditions to improve was five days. The picture wasn't worth waiting for and isn't in this book.
5/ Having walked for miles for a good picture I often find the best photo when I return is right next to my car. The only problem beeing that I've parked right in the middle of the view.
6/ Nothing is repeatable especially the light.
7/ Those pictures which require the most perspiration and imagination to take are always the ones that look the easiest.
8/ Don't run out of film. -Bob Croxford, "From Cornwall With Love" by Bob Croxford

discuss.

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    Photography is like fishing. You go out in the morning with no idea of what the trip will bring. Sometimes luck is on your side and all your crab pots are full of prime Lobsters. Other times you get nothing. -Bob Croxford, "From Cornwall With Love" by Bob Croxford

Often even the great photographers will say that there best work was a result of luck, being by chance in the right place at the right time. I think it's more a matter of always being prepared for when the time comes because the right time comes for us all but if we are not prepared, we do not get the shot. Of course it is also important to recognise that the time has come,.

Technique is a matter of individual preferences. It bores me. I am only interested in results. However I do offer a few guiding rules of photography.
    1/ My essential equipment includes an alarm clock towake up early and a compass to find where the sun is going to be. I also have a small double pointed quartz crystal which sits in my camera bag with the exposed film and helps to increase sharpness!
    I dont know about the crystal?ne_nau.gif but I do agree that the alarm clock is critical.
    2/ The best light occurs when I am stuck in the office with the VAT man or have left my camera at home.
    Aint that the truth. eek7.gif
    3/ If I wait for perfect conditions someone will park a truck in the view.
    For me it is a matter of doin the best that I can under the conditions that exist and areas where I think there is the most potential I return many times hoping for better conditions. As far as the truck, thats what PS is for, :D
    4/ The most I have waited in the rain for conditions to improve was five days. The picture wasn't worth waiting for and isn't in this book.
    Often times I feel that the shots that took the most effort or that took the most work are the most dissappointing, maybe because the results dont live up to the image you had in your mind when you put the work, time and effort into it.
    5/ Having walked for miles for a good picture I often find the best photo when I return is right next to my car. The only problem beeing that I've parked right in the middle of the view.
    At least you can move the car, I do agree that often times the best shot of the day happens within minutes of getting out of the car, or just before I get back in it, but meither would have happened if I never got out of the car.
    6/ Nothing is repeatable especially the light.

Dont know about this on, for a stationary subject in a scenic view, the light will be there again if you miss a shot which will work if you live close to the subject
    7/ Those pictures which require the most perspiration and imagination to take are always the ones that look the easiest.

Only when they work. Often times the ones Iput the most work into dont make it past the edit.
    8/ Don't run out of film. -Bob Croxford, "From Cornwall With Love" by Bob Croxford

Or memory, or Battery power, etc. :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    What's with these incessant quotes of the week?

blbl.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2005
    From my limited experience:

1/ Planning makes a huge difference to the quality of your shot. If you have an idea, you're already way ahead.

2/ Make sure you pack some patience in your camera bag. Sometimes you'll walk away disappointed, but patience is often its own reward.

3/ You don't by any chance still have your camera set to ISO 1600, do you?

:D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    From my limited experience:

1/ Planning makes a huge difference to the quality of your shot. If you have an idea, you're already way ahead.

2/ Make sure you pack some patience in your camera bag. Sometimes you'll walk away disappointed, but patience is often its own reward.

3/ You don't by any chance still have your camera set to ISO 1600, do you?

:D

Yes, planning ahead is very important in my photography, and with most people I suspect, it gets them somewhere. In that place they might get a shot that they wouldn't get if home sleeping.

#2) Huh?

#3) No my camera's ISO is not set to 1600, but my sunpak flash's is. I can't get ahold of the sunpak people, and my Canon popup flash will no longer pop up. But at this point my camera is not set to 1600. Of course I am not out taking photos, if I were, and it were noon in bright sun, 1600 ISO would be likely.

g

Nobody has mentioned the tripod or monopod yet. It is very important to have that with you somewhere. The car is an acceptable place for it to be.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    What's with these incessant quotes of the week?

blbl.gif

lol3.gif you're a funny man, sid....

not
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    #2) Huh?

Did I stutter?

FLIPA.gif

Just kidding, Ginger. rolleyes1.gif What I mean, is that if you think there might be a shot, but the situation or light isn't quite right, have the patience to wait for the planets to align in your favor rather than rushing off to look for something else. Things won't always come together for you. But a lot of times they will, and then we revert to #1 - having a plan puts you streets ahead. JMHO, of course.
    Sid.