Yosemite: Falls, and a Print

ScottPeditionScottPedition Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited April 21, 2008 in Landscapes
We took a quick trip to Yosemite with the kids last weekend. I left the DSLR at home and just took the G9, which did admirably well. The view of Yosemite Falls past Glacier Point Apron turned out nice enough to print, and the folks at http://www.pixeloutpost.com/ did a great job on the 18x24 canvas.

1/1600 @ f/4 ISO 80
2409670358_2e2578c966.jpg

2430610052_3ebf734ceb.jpg

The light filtering through Vernal Falls' mist was dramatic but hard to capture well.
1/160 @ f/4.8 ISO 80
2408833379_70e19d669f.jpg

These were taken from Sierra Point, a neat hike and viewpoint.

Scott

Comments

• SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Nice shot and welcome to posting! Looks like the G9 did a nice job and it scaled well. I haven't printed anything with them.

Looking forward to seeing more from the trip. Yosemite is one of my favorite places! (ok, so a few other people probably like it too!)

Enjoy
    John
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    And welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif

I'm loving the trees hanging over the mist in the second. You were there last weekend and already have your print hanging? Awesomely fast service! :D
  • ScottPeditionScottPedition Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2008
    Thanks for the nice comments. Yes, Pixel Outpost had great turnaround. We got home Saturday night, placed an order Sunday night, and had a box on the porch by Thursday -- although living nearby helps. What was even better was their honesty. We were going to have three prints made (one that we had been meaning to do for a couple of years headscratch.gif). Two turned out terrific, but they emailed me on Monday to let me know the third wouldn't come out as well -- and immediately refunded payment for that one. They were right, the two that did get printed were terrific.

Sierra Point is a neat spot for a couple of reasons: (1) you can see 5 major Yosemite waterfalls, and (2) the trail has been closed for years due to rockslide, so it's much less crowded and the perspective is a little different than the more common views. It's a little sketchy in places (probably not appropriate for small kids and some adults), but beyond that the destination is well worth the hike.

Here's a few other photos, not all of which I'm thrilled with. Then again, these were snapshots taken with a P&S (though with some curves), so I'm thrilled to have ended up with one nice wall hanging from a trip that wasn't expected to yield any.

Part of the "trail" up to Sierra Point, just above some ledges where the trail was completely obliterated by (small) rockfall.
    2408801459_4bf2633446.jpg

Upper Yosemite Falls through the trees on trail.
    2408806175_8ef5a5b43d.jpg

Liberty Cap, Nevada Falls, and Vernal Falls from Sierra Point.
    2408854887_80ab67ebc1.jpg

Illouette Falls.
    2408847571_4e7cbcf924.jpg

Sierra Point overlooking Illouette Falls.
    2408818485_1007be95bd.jpg

Scott
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008