Options

Anatomy of a Crash

cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
edited April 21, 2008 in Sports
A Tough Corner

Some years back, I was invited to join a racing team, but I figured that I could not afford to
crash my bike and that I didn't have the skills required so I contented myself with less competitive
motorcycling. Still I did take a camera to the track and photograph a race.
NHIS_crash1.png
What the intructors tell students in the Basic Rider's Course (BRC) is to look at where you want to go.
All the bikes are pointed essentially OK, but one rider's eyes are not pointed right. Lets see what happens.

NHIS_crash2.png

Maybe a bump, maybe he was trying a last minute maneuver after realizing he was himself going to hit someone.

NHIS_crash3.png

Note that he isn't trying to stay with the bike. When you are at those speeds in well armored gear you are better
off rolling and sliding on your own. Stay on the bike and your bones might end up like my knee. If you don't have
the gear then you might stick with the bike to avoid scraping off flesh from all sides. Road rash is no fun at all. Of
course on the track you will wear ATGATT (all the gear all the time). Not like here in RP in sandals.

NHIS_crash4.png

He is actually moving pretty fast here.

NHIS_crash5.png

And he keeps on rolling...

NHIS_crash6.png

See how the armor on knees, back, elbows, hands, and feet protects the contact points.

NHIS_crash7.png

Finally he stops rolling. Is he alive? How bad is he hurt?

NHIS_crash8.png

Amazingly he is starting to stand up.

NHIS_crash9.png

Mike Braley, the corner marshall is clearly worried. Through the lens I felt like I could almost hear
the concern in his voice. Mike wrote me after seeing these pictures and said, "... it was a relatively routine
crash for that corner. You are correct, however, about my concern, our first priority is to assess the rider's
condition, as adrenaline can cause them to ignore or fail to realise injuries."

NHIS_crash10.png

The corner marshall, Mike, gets the bike off the track and radios in that all is OK.

That is the end of this chapter but go back to the first picture and the bike just in front of this one is
number 221 and he also loses it on the same corner later in the race. Look at his emotions.

NHIS_crash11.png
He jumps up so fast. Is he angry or does he think he can get back in the race... Who
knows what is in his mind. Whatever it is, the reality is that his bike is damaged.

NHIS_crash13.png

Throw down the glove and walk away... There will be another day, another race...

Copyright © 2004 Charles Richmond
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph