Options

Canon 40D at ISO 1600

rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited April 22, 2008 in Technique
Here's a few shots taken at a very dark coffee shop this past weekend. One little spot on stage plus some outside light coming in. Both were at ISO 1600 and taken with a Canon 40D. I set the WB to tungsten. First photo with a 24-70L and the second was with the nifty fifty. I am very pleased with these. Straight out of the camera. No PP. Comments welcome.

24-70L ISO 1600, 1/20, aperture priority, f2.8/no flash, focal length approx. 51mm
281957216_Ejeta-L.jpg

Nifty fifty, ISO 1600, 1/25, aperture priority, f2.0/no flash

281959054_CwaHj-L.jpg
Rich

Comments

• Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I can't see the first photo but the second one looks pretty good to me considering the how dificult the shots were ...

I can see that the 40 D is nice at hight ISOs
    I don't need to comment the 24-70 because I've got one and I know how good it is ...
    :Dthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    I can't see the first photo but the second one looks pretty good to me considering the how dificult the shots were ...

I can see that the 40 D is nice at hight ISOs
    I don't need to comment the 24-70 because I've got one and I know how good it is ...
    :Dthumb.gif

Thank you for taking a look. The post seems to be working fine for me. Hopefully someone else takes a look at this post.
    Rich
  • Options
    annaelycmannaelycm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I can see both...
    The color is terrific and no noticable noice at all!! Love them both! The first one is the best of the two. The second seems just a tad hot across the shoulder and face.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    annaelycm wrote:
    I can see both...
    The color is terrific and no noticable noice at all!! Love them both! The first one is the best of the two. The second seems just a tad hot across the shoulder and face.

Yes a little hot but I wanted to post them straight from the camera. Like you said no noise. It was my first try at ISO 1600 and I am really pleased with the result. Thank you for taking a look.
    Rich
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    I can see both pictures now.
    Are you shooting raw ?

May be certain areas of the pictures are burned.
    I mean they don't have information, they are white, too white.
    On the 1.st shot, the gitar and on the second the head of the musitian.
    May be with a little adjustment you can fix or disguize these areas ... ne_nau.gif

Anyway, it is very good for 1600 ISO:D
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    I can see both pictures now.
    Are you shooting raw ?

May be certain areas of the pictures are burned.
    I mean they don't have information, they are white, too white.
    On the 1.st shot, the gitar and on the second the head of the musitian.
    May be with a little adjustment you can fix or disguize these areas ... ne_nau.gif

Anyway, it is very good for 1600 ISO:D

Yes, I will pp them. I wanted to post right out of the camera to show the result. The spotlight was directly over him on the beam you see in the first photo. Thanks for taking another look.
    Rich
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I see noise in both, but that's only cuz I'm looking for it. While I'm no expert since I prefer lighting over high ISO any day. But I've found that high ISO noise can be dependent on environmental variables. So don't just go trigger happy on high ISO.. Sometimes the results may vary drastically.

YMMV
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I see noise in both, but that's only cuz I'm looking for it. While I'm no expert since I prefer lighting over high ISO any day. But I've found that high ISO noise can be dependent on environmental variables. So don't just go trigger happy on high ISO.. Sometimes the results may vary drastically.

YMMV
    No choice in this case.
    Rich
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    love the low noise at high iso. I like the framing on the second one better. that light is a little distracting in the first.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    love the low noise at high iso. I like the framing on the second one better. that light is a little distracting in the first.
    Me too. Thanks for looking.
    Rich
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 22, 2008
    The secret to these images is that they are "high key" images without a lot of dark deep shadows where the noise really lives.

If shot at ISO 1600, the 40D can produce very nice images, especially in print, if they are not under exposed. Big dark shadows and under exposure will reveal the noise. To really examine this image look at the blue channel.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    The secret to these images is that they are "high key" images without a lot of dark deep shadows where the noise really lives.

If shot at ISO 1600, the 40D can produce very nice images, especially in print, if they are not under exposed. Big dark shadows and under exposure will reveal the noise. To really examine this image look at the blue channel.

Important tip ! :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to look at these and the advice.
    Rich
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 22, 2008
    Not really adviceheadscratch.gif , just my own opinionthumb.gif Noise is usually much more prominent in the blue channel than in the red or green channel.

One way of dealing with the noise in the shadows, other than NoiseWear or NeatImage etc , is to raise the black point a bit higher and drive the shadows to full black. Makes a more contrasty, dramatic image if that is desireable - Has the disadvantage of loss of deep shadow detail. Looks more like Kodachrome used to look years ago.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin