First HDR

Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited April 21, 2008 in Landscapes
I used Photomatix and some PS. Still don't know what I'm doing, but sure is fun.
5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com

Comments

• edge100edge100 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    I used Photomatix and some PS. Still don't know what I'm doing, but sure is fun.

My honest opinion is that this one will work better without the HDR, but that could just be me; I tend not to like HDR on wide landscapes, unless there really is a severe dynamic range issue to contend with (though in that case I still prefer the look of an ND grad filter to HDR). To me, HDR shines in architecture photography or in portraits where you want to emphasize the 'grit'.

I'd like to see this shot in its original form, with the horizon straightened just slightly and some of the sky cropped out. You have a great subject, and I think with some editing this one would look great.

Nice shot.
  • Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Here are the 3 photos I used
    Sorry they are small, I'm at work, I'm a little limited on the work comp :) But ya, I understand about a ND grad filter, I just dont happen to have one (yet!). But I'm learning...
    5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
  • VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Welcome to HDR Grumpy. Im a day into HDR as well :) Learning still myself
    edited April 21, 2008
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    Sorry they are small, I'm at work, I'm a little limited on the work comp :) But ya, I understand about a ND grad filter, I just dont happen to have one (yet!). But I'm learning...

The first exposure, done with an ND grad filter, would look great (with a little cropping). If you're into this type of photography, get an ND grad filter (or two or three), and you'll be set.
    edited April 21, 2008
    edge100 wrote:
    The first exposure, done with an ND grad filter, would look great (with a little cropping). If you're into this type of photography, get an ND grad filter (or two or three), and you'll be set.
    and a couple of good prime lens, a good zoom say 70-200 2.8 IS, some more flashes and stands, a good printer, a 1Ds Mark III, then....maybe then....I'll be set. Sorry, I couldn't resist :D. A ND grad filter is on the list. I'm on a short spending leashbeer.gif Cheers
    edited April 21, 2008
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    and a couple of good prime lens, a good zoom say 70-200 2.8 IS, some more flashes and stands, a good printer, a 1Ds Mark III, then....maybe then....I'll be set. Sorry, I couldn't resist :D. A ND grad filter is on the list. I'm on a short spending leashbeer.gif Cheers

I'm on the same leash.

My kit consists of the following:

- Canon 10D w/ grip
    - 50/1.8 mkII
    - 70-200 F4L (non-IS)
    - 17-40 F4L
    - 77mm circular polarizer
    - UV filters for everything

That's it. I badly need a 580EX, I'd kill for a 24-105 F4L IS, oh, and a 5D.

But for now I'm doing fine, I think. The 10D annoys me some days, but I wont buy a new body until I can buy FF (I shoot a lot more wide-angle than telephoto, so FF would work nicely for me). I wont buy anything but L glass (well, maybe that 85/1.8 I've had my eye on), so that keeps me from spending all the time (that and the constant threat of divorce).
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    ... But ya, I understand about a ND grad filter, I just dont happen to have one (yet!). But I'm learning...

An alternative is to use a blended shot. Expose one for the highlights and one for the shadows and blend them in PS. That's what I do...I don't own any GNDs.
    edited April 21, 2008
    An alternative is to use a blended shot. Expose one for the highlights and one for the shadows and blend them in PS. That's what I do...I don't own any GNDs.
    I tried just that in PS. It got fustrating. I was using layered masks. Couldn't get the result I was after. Going to use a lot more RAW's. Now that I have a 4gb card it should be easier. I was having to dump the 1gb too often. I missed the first dance because of that!! But I'm learing thanks to you folks. bowdown.gif :ivar bowdown.gif
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    I tried just that in PS. It got fustrating. I was using layered masks. Couldn't get the result I was after. Going to use a lot more RAW's. Now that I have a 4gb card it should be easier. I was having to dump the 1gb too often. I missed the first dance because of that!! But I'm learing thanks to you folks. bowdown.gif :ivar bowdown.gif
    I don't know if you've ever read this, but here's a good link...

http://www.goodlight.us/writing/luminositymasks/luminositymasks-1.html