fast lens

bellaphotobellaphoto Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited April 21, 2008 in Cameras
Hello, i am new to photography, i own a Nikon D40 SLR, i photograph alot of childrens outdoor candid shots, etc.. they move fast so i am asking what is the best lens to use for children on the move. i would be chasing them alot so its hard to use a tripod. i need some tips on sharp , focused photos when it comes to shooting children outdoors. any suggesttions on tips and lenses!!!! nothing too expensive please.

thanks again :)

romina ludovico
http://www.rominasphotography.com
Romina Ludovico

Comments

• BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    bellaphoto wrote:
    Hello, i am new to photography, i own a Nikon D40 SLR, i photograph alot of childrens outdoor candid shots, etc.. they move fast so i am asking what is the best lens to use for children on the move. i would be chasing them alot so its hard to use a tripod. i need some tips on sharp , focused photos when it comes to shooting children outdoors. any suggesttions on tips and lenses!!!! nothing too expensive please.

thanks again :)

romina ludovico
    http://www.rominasphotography.com

Well the f1.4 or f1.8 50mm and 80mm lenses is what most people shoot kids with...The issue is that nikon does not offer these in AF-S lenses, so you would have to manual focus them...I would look at something aftermarket Sigma has some HSM lenses which will focus on the d40, d40x and d60. For people I have the sigma 18-50mm f2.8 that I bought used for 350.00, it seems to be a good lens, fairly fast and good in low light. If you can wait a while sigma is coming out with a HSM lens that is f1.4 50mm...so that should be an exciting lens.
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 21, 2008
    Hi Romina, I'm moving your post to the Cameras forum, and I would encourage you to do a search there for many recent D40 posts. This camera has really brought in lots of newcomers (great!) and lots of new posts on dgrin!
    lol3.gif

when you have decided on the best lens to get, please come back to the flea market with your (specific) wishes.

cheers,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]