Ruined a RAW file

Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited April 22, 2008 in Technique
I was playing around in PS and when I went back to the file to start over, it opens in the washed out setting I was playing with. Any way to recover the file? Thanks

edit: nevermind, got it figured out whew
5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com

Comments

• davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    I was playing around in PS and when I went back to the file to start over, it opens in the washed out setting I was playing with. Any way to recover the file? Thanks

edit: nevermind, got it figured out whew

You might want to post what you did to recover the image.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    copies....copies....copies...always work with copies of raws
    Anywho that is my MANTRA:D....Well one of 'em any wayrolleyes1.gif

I have a file designated as originals....this a file of raws on my back up HDD that are duplicated when downloading off card.....these hopefully never have to be opened but If I did totally destroy my working file somehow....this is there to be copied from BACK to the working file....I said copied not moved.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    You might want to post what you did to recover the image.

Note he said he ruined a RAW file. Short of deleting it that is extremely hard to do as none of the RAW converters I know of will modify the RAW file.

To recover it I suspect he deleted the .xmp file that tells ACR what has already been done to the raw file. ACR is totally non-destructive and keeps the mods/adjustments made on a RAW file in a "sidecar" file (.xmp). If you delete that the original comes back. He could have looked at the history and un-did all the mods he made that washed out the photo also. It accomplishes the same thing.

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    dmmattix wrote:
    Note he said he ruined a RAW file. Short of deleting it that is extremely hard to do as none of the RAW converters I know of will modify the RAW file.

To recover it I suspect he deleted the .xmp file that tells ACR what has already been done to the raw file. ACR is totally non-destructive and keeps the mods/adjustments made on a RAW file in a "sidecar" file (.xmp). If you delete that the original comes back. He could have looked at the history and un-did all the mods he made that washed out the photo also. It accomplishes the same thing.

Mike
    It was even more bone head than that. All I had to do was go back to "default" see attatched....

BTW, how are things in T town. My second home was at a tavern at 11th and Harvard called Golden Hurricane back in the late 70's early 80's. Tulsa women.....ahhh (hope my wife doesn't see this :hide )
    5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
    http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com