Options

Neutral Density Help

2»

Comments

• Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    I noticed the farthest you went got you to 6 stops, did you try playing with the exact angle, in my experience poking around with these things, it's a very precise angle where it gets to absolute black (or at least, absolute black to my eyes)

In any case, thanks for posting! helpful results, and would you then say it's a good DIY neutral density from your test? Or too early for a verdict?
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    I was playing quick-and-dirty with this test late last night so the stops are not precise. I had to flip the Cokin filter adapter so both filters face the same way and the adapter made it really awkward to rotate the filter. It did look really dark thru the viewfinder, but as you can see, the long exposure still showed up fine. I'd say it's a good DYI ND using 2 CP filters, but think about it though, 2 quality CP filters cost about as much as the Singh-Ray vari-ND filter. The advantage is you can use them separately as CP filters.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    sohotrightnowsohotrightnow Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Sorry, but I got another question. I'm also checking out graduated nd's. What would be better for lake/mountain and scenic shots of that sort, a Reverse graduated nd, or a Graudated nd. And what stop, from what I know i'm thinking of a 2 or 3 stop, but not sure which one. If I were to get one of these could I just hold it with my hands? And should I get a 4x6 to do handheld or a Cokin P size?

Thanks,
    Hansel

P.S. Thanks sooo much for the help with the Nd and polarizer thing!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Sorry, but I got another question. I'm also checking out graduated nd's. What would be better for lake/mountain and scenic shots of that sort, a Reverse graduated nd, or a Graudated nd. And what stop, from what I know i'm thinking of a 2 or 3 stop, but not sure which one. If I were to get one of these could I just hold it with my hands? And should I get a 4x6 to do handheld or a Cokin P size?

Thanks,
    Hansel

P.S. Thanks sooo much for the help with the Nd and polarizer thing!

If it were me I would go for either 4x4 or 4x6 lee or some other high quality brand and a cokin filter holder.....for ND's I can see a real value to graduated ones but not really for solid and I am not sure what a reversed ND is........I have only looked at solid and graduated.......I do not purchase screw on filters any longer after haveing one refuse to turn loose of the lens and dang near destroyed my lens having it removed (nope was not cross threaded...sometimes different metals do that when they come into tight contact......)
    good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    Ok here is the reverse graduated nd

http://www.singh-ray.com/reversegrads.html

That would be the one I would get in 4x6, so I think that's what i'm gonna go for, and then i'll get a Cokin Z-pro holder.

Still not sure what stop to get though headscratch.gif
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    I was playing quick-and-dirty with this test late last night so the stops are not precise. I had to flip the Cokin filter adapter so both filters face the same way and the adapter made it really awkward to rotate the filter. It did look really dark thru the viewfinder, but as you can see, the long exposure still showed up fine. I'd say it's a good DYI ND using 2 CP filters, but think about it though, 2 quality CP filters cost about as much as the Singh-Ray vari-ND filter. The advantage is you can use them separately as CP filters.

Cuong
    Thanks again for sharing your results! I think that this combo could be handy for someone who, like a lot of people who aren't big into filters, has just a CP to start. In this case, if you're looking for a versatile solution, you just need 1 more polarizer and you then have a versatile ND filter as well. For someone just looking for an ND filter, who doesn't have a polarizer, the Singhray remains an interesting solution.

Also, the Singh-ray never loses the fact of its being a polarizer, so remember this is a double use filter, a variable ND filter and an extra thick polarizer. I honestly find it surprising they don't advertise this, maybe they want to encourage people to buy it, AND polarizers? headscratch.gif

I hope I don't sound like a Singh-ray rep by now mwink.gif
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    I had the same decision to make as you. I ended up buying a
    B&W 10 stop ND filter (ND 3.0). 1-3 stops aren't enough
    and can easily be simulated by closing the aperature and
    selecting a low iso or using a polfilter. A 6 stops filter doesn't
    make too much sense if you consider that with a 10 stop filter
    you can always open up 4 stops by selecting a wider aperature
    and a higher iso to match the effect of a 6stops filter.

Therefore I recommend a Polfilter and a 10 stops filter.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Ok here is the reverse graduated nd

http://www.singh-ray.com/reversegrads.html

That would be the one I would get in 4x6, so I think that's what i'm gonna go for, and then i'll get a Cokin Z-pro holder.

Still not sure what stop to get though headscratch.gif

Thanx for the linkthumb.gif..............think I would start with a 2 or 3 stop.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    Ok, I'm leaning towards the 3 stop right now. Still not 100% sure though.

Also, just read this and it seems as though I won't need the holder.
    http://singhray.blogspot.com/2007/09/look-at-difference-series-showing-how.html

Still could use some input on the holder as to whether it would be better to hold or use the holder? The thing I'm worried about is a strong transition line that is quite noticeable. But then again I have no experience whatsoever so, if you guys could help me out with that.

Thanks so much for the help Everyone! wings.gif

Hansel