Options

PSE 6.0 Issue

webwizardwebwizard Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited May 12, 2008 in Finishing School
Just one at the moment. I don't even know if the is the right forum because right now I'm more focused on cataloging than editing. If I'm not, please point me in the right direction.

Purchased 6.0. Had problems keeping it from crashing. Came with adobe downloader which still crashes routinely on system start up. Finally got PSE stable(except for downloader) by increasing RAM from 1 to 2 GB, replacing graphics card and a few other "tweaks"(pretty much trial and error solution).

Anyway, I imported a bunch of images this past weekend. About 3,000. Now I can't see the thumbnails. Mostly I see the little hourglass graphics in the organizer. Down on the lower left of my screen it says "Generating Thumbnails". Which it has said everytime I launch the program. Now "generating thumbnails" seems to consume 99% of CPU, which leaves little resource to do anything.

Is it me or Adobe? If its me what am I doing wrong? If its Adobe what can I do to work around? Do I need to go to separate catalogs? Everything is currently organized around keyword tags in one catalog. Is there a practical limit to the number of images in a catalog?

How does the thumbnail thing work? Does the program recreate all the thumbnails everytime you launch? If I let it run over night, will it eventually stabiize after it createes all existing thumbnails? Am I stuck in thumbnail hell?

:scratch

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    webwizard wrote:
    Just one at the moment. I don't even know if the is the right forum because right now I'm more focused on cataloging than editing. If I'm not, please point me in the right direction.

Purchased 6.0. Had problems keeping it from crashing. Came with adobe downloader which still crashes routinely on system start up. Finally got PSE stable(except for downloader) by increasing RAM from 1 to 2 GB, replacing graphics card and a few other "tweaks"(pretty much trial and error solution).

Anyway, I imported a bunch of images this past weekend. About 3,000. Now I can't see the thumbnails. Mostly I see the little hourglass graphics in the organizer. Down on the lower left of my screen it says "Generating Thumbnails". Which it has said everytime I launch the program. Now "generating thumbnails" seems to consume 99% of CPU, which leaves little resource to do anything.

Is it me or Adobe? If its me what am I doing wrong? If its Adobe what can I do to work around? Do I need to go to separate catalogs? Everything is currently organized around keyword tags in one catalog. Is there a practical limit to the number of images in a catalog?

How does the thumbnail thing work? Does the program recreate all the thumbnails everytime you launch? If I let it run over night, will it eventually stabiize after it createes all existing thumbnails? Am I stuck in thumbnail hell?

headscratch.gif

It stores thumbnails and shouldn't have to constantly regenerate them. My first suggestion would be to just leave it to run overnight and see if it gets done generating all the thumbnails. My experience with PSE (a few years ago) was that it was pretty picky about having a system with good performance (CPU, RAM and disk). 3000 images in a catalog should be no problem if you have an appropriate system. I had 15,000 in an earlier version of PSE.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    It stores thumbnails and shouldn't have to constantly regenerate them. My first suggestion would be to just leave it to run overnight and see if it gets done generating all the thumbnails. My experience with PSE (a few years ago) was that it was pretty picky about having a system with good performance (CPU, RAM and disk). 3000 images in a catalog should be no problem if you have an appropriate system. I had 15,000 in an earlier version of PSE.

I'm pretty well set up in the hardware dept. 2GB RAM, 3.2 Ghz P4, 1 TB of disk.

I'll let it run tonight and see what happens in the AM. Thanks
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    webwizard wrote:
    I'm pretty well set up in the hardware dept. 2GB RAM, 3.2 Ghz P4, 1 TB of disk.

I'll let it run tonight and see what happens in the AM. Thanks

Well I think I have the thumbnail issue solved. Looks like it just took a while for the thmbnail generator to catch up.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    webwizard wrote:
    Well I think I have the thumbnail issue solved. Looks like it just took a while for the thmbnail generator to catch up.
    Cool. Glad that was all it was.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question