privacy setup

lemieszeklemieszek Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited April 23, 2008 in SmugMug Support
hello everyone,

I've been using smugmug for a couple of months now and I really like it. I'm not sure about how private I can make my galleries without losing some of the features, though. I have my galleries password protected right now, but this way users cannot search through tags or see thumbnails. because I have every digital picture I've taken online, I don't feel like making them all available to the "general public", but I would like to let my family and friends browse freely through them without restraints and using all the features. if I turn off "hello world" and turn on "make me an island", will only people who actually type my url on their web browser be able to access my pictures? if so, that could be the way to go.

another thing I would like to be able to do is to only let people view screen-size pictures, but I'd like to be able to download full-sized versions of my own pictures without having to change the gallery setting twice for that... is that possible? if not, I'll post that as a request :)

anyway, keep up the good work, smugmug. I like it here :)

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    lemieszek wrote:
    hello everyone,

I've been using smugmug for a couple of months now and I really like it. I'm not sure about how private I can make my galleries without losing some of the features, though. I have my galleries password protected right now, but this way users cannot search through tags or see thumbnails. because I have every digital picture I've taken online, I don't feel like making them all available to the "general public", but I would like to let my family and friends browse freely through them without restraints and using all the features. if I turn off "hello world" and turn on "make me an island", will only people who actually type my url on their web browser be able to access my pictures? if so, that could be the way to go.

another thing I would like to be able to do is to only let people view screen-size pictures, but I'd like to be able to download full-sized versions of my own pictures without having to change the gallery setting twice for that... is that possible? if not, I'll post that as a request :)

anyway, keep up the good work, smugmug. I like it here :)

Here's one little hint. If you use password protected galleries, you can go to that particular gallery, select an image you would like to use for the thumbnail for that gallery and select "Feature Photo" from the menu. That will get rid of the padlock icon and let you have a thumbnail even for password protected galleries.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • lemieszeklemieszek Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Here's one little hint. If you use password protected galleries, you can go to that particular gallery, select an image you would like to use for the thumbnail for that gallery and select "Feature Photo" from the menu. That will get rid of the padlock icon and let you have a thumbnail even for password protected galleries.

nice, that takes care of one of the issues. thanks! thumb.gif
  • stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Lemieszek . . you have the exact same 'problem' that I have. I want a degree of privacy without losing functionality. You CAN acheive exactly what you need if you are Power or Pro user by using the CSS customisation tools. Folks on here will gladly talk you through it step by step. Its actually quite good fun customising . . and I wont spoil it by highlighting any downside to it. Its worth the effort.
    edited April 22, 2008
    stuart,

that seems to be interesting. I'd be glad to upgrade to have that. but I won't spend an afternoon setting it up, if that would be necessary... is it?

I had another idea. on a good trip day, I take about 400 pictures, and I like to keep them all. but I usually wanna show around no more than around 10% of those. so maybe if there was some sort of flagging for each image, like the green thumbs up, and then people could only see the flagged ones... that would be nice. is there an easy way to do that?

maybe I should be reading the support section before spilling my guts out around here. :P
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    lemieszek wrote:
    stuart,

that seems to be interesting. I'd be glad to upgrade to have that. but I won't spend an afternoon setting it up, if that would be necessary... is it?

I had another idea. on a good trip day, I take about 400 pictures, and I like to keep them all. but I usually wanna show around no more than around 10% of those. so maybe if there was some sort of flagging for each image, like the green thumbs up, and then people could only see the flagged ones... that would be nice. is there an easy way to do that?

maybe I should be reading the support section before spilling my guts out around here. :P

I flag my photos using software on my PC and only upload the ones I want to share. I see no point in spending upload time on images I don't deem worthy of sharing.

Smugmug does have the ability to "hide" a photo. So you could upload 400 and then hide 360 and have only 40 left for public display. It seems to me like it would be more efficient to sort through them on your PC before uploading, but you could do it this way if you want.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited April 22, 2008
    I see your point, but my main use to smugmug is as backup (I prefer that to 2 hard drives or dvd copies, and plus, I'm often travelling), so the hiding thing seems a bit too much work. but I could do that, I suppose... you still get to see the ones you hid, right? that's one way to go...

thanks.
  • stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    I am thinking that 'virtual galleries' cannot be very far away for Smugmug . . . that would mean you could upload everything and then tag the ones you like to appear in your 'favourites' galleries. While you are waiting on that I would definately upgrade to Power and get started on the customising.