Golden hour

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited April 24, 2008 in People
I have always heard that the hour before sunset is the golden hour for photography. for me, it has been an excercise in frustration. I have shoot of a 10 year old tomorrow and planned to take some of the photos outside. what do I need to know? Here are few of the better shots from today's practice round. I don't need to be told these aren't great. What do I need to do to take great pics in the golden hour?

cc welcome

283259097_cBeQJ-XL.jpg

283260805_uAV5H-XL.jpg

283260401_xCyCV-XL.jpg

283266477_oEoCP-L.jpg

283269337_WH2Zk-L.jpg

Comments

• evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    What were your WB settings for these shots?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    some are awb, some are daylight. I tweaked that just a bit in Camera RAW.

One other related question. How do I ask this. I want each person's skin color to look the same in each photo, regardless of the conditions that the pic was taken in. Does my questions make sense?
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Those pictures don't look as bad as I expected them to be. Not bad at all ne_nau.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

edited April 22, 2008
    dawssvt wrote:
    Those pictures don't look as bad as I expected them to be. Not bad at all ne_nau.gif

yeah well, these are the better ones, and after a little ps. never again with out someone holding a reflector.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Josh - a thought or two that may (or may not :D) help:
    • Think about turning your subjects (or at least their faces) away from the sun to avoid squinting (see you picuture #1).
    • Use some flash to fill the shadows caused by turning the face away from the sun. Or a gold or semi-gold reflector works some but you still have the bright light in the face of your model.
    • Shooting later in the day will provide very warm light - gel your flash with a light CTO gel to balance.
    • If the sun is behind and off to the side (think 45 degrees +/- off lens axis), it can provide a really good "hair light".
    edited April 22, 2008
    Josh - a thought or two that may (or may not :D) help:
    • Think about turning your subjects (or at least their faces) away from the sun to avoid squinting (see you picuture #1).
    • Use some flash to fill the shadows caused by turning the face away from the sun. Or a gold or semi-gold reflector works some but you still have the bright light in the face of your model.
    • Shooting later in the day will provide very warm light - gel your flash with a light CTO gel to balance.
    • If the sun is behind and off to the side (think 45 degrees +/- off lens axis), it can provide a really good "hair light".

good comments, as always Scott. On most of the shots I used the flash. It was my first time to use the high speed sync. I was surprised that it seemed to have much less effect. I did notice the color balance problem. the gel is a good idea.

the big learning for me. (I was shooting my kids in practice for a cousin I am shooting later today.) I must have someone holding a reflector. I think I am going to try a place that has some shade. I know I need to be careful about blotchy sunlight, but the New Mexico sun where I was was brutal. It did get better as the son set.

I need to shut up; i am rambling.
    edited April 22, 2008
    I guess this answers your question on if WB matters if you shoot RAW.
    The quality of light during the golden "hour" changes very often.
    To achieve what you are looking for:
    I would suggest shoot RAW and take a shot of a WB target every few minutes so you can adjust it properly in RAW.

I know a problem I had one day is the sun was getting more red than golden and when I tried to cool it down I noticed the blue sky cast a reflection off my subject.

just an example from last summer. I haven't had this problem again.
    Out the camera "golden hour" sun turning red: :wow
    283408688_5AeVh-M.jpg

balanced a bit but now the reflection of the blue sky: :cry
    190664538-M.jpg
    At this point I'm trying to make it match some of my indoor photos

removed blue:
    283408637_jNHdL-M.jpg

cooling filter
    283408665_vhrjh-M.jpg

indoor
    190648016-M.jpg

I think you can also custom WB the camera every few minutes. :/
    Use a cooling filter on the lens or in PS. :/
    Pick a white balance spot off the clothing. :/
    Adjust for skin tone. :/

had I used my head my choice would have been take pics of my white reflector every few minutes so I could fix the balance later.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited April 22, 2008
    good idea about taking pics of the reflector every so many minutes. I will try that.
    edited April 22, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    good idea about taking pics of the reflector every so many minutes. I will try that.
    Unless you are careful, the white reflector may blow out. If you under-expose by a stop, that will fix the blow-out problem but may introduce color balance issues.
    edited April 22, 2008
    Unless you are careful, the white reflector may blow out. If you under-expose by a stop, that will fix the blow-out problem but may introduce color balance issues.

so, better to take something grey?
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:

Yes

Also about golden hour......and portraits......

I generally choose early morning and late afternoon for photographs myself. Bright overcast days are great at anytime.

Early/late daytime shooting generates nice side lighting, long shadows, and usually the light is less intense because it is traveling through more atmosphere than at mid day. The golden color can be a headache to deal with as you have discovered. Scott is pointing you in the right direction for handling that. Using the sun as a backlight, and providing the right fill....from whatever you choose...can be magic!!
    edited April 22, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:

In the pictures above, I used a reflector to light the subject, but that was my first such experience and I didn't take a pic of it for white balance.

After that session I took a properly exposed shot of my reflector and used that later to process.
    Then I bought a Whibal. Both worked for me, but I prefer the Whibal. You have to expose it properly as Scott says.

dak.smugmug.com
    edited April 22, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    In the pictures above, I used a reflector to light the subject, but that was my first such experience and I didn't take a pic of it for white balance.

After that session I took a properly exposed shot of my reflector and used that later to process.
    Then I bought a Whibal. Both worked for me, but I prefer the Whibal. You have to expose it properly as Scott says.

always more to spend money on.
    edited April 22, 2008
    Yeah and no ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

I've done it with a white envelope from my junk mail.
    rolleyes1.gif

dak.smugmug.com
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Hahahahahahahaha.

I've used a white trashbag too. Laughing.gif.
    evoryware wrote:
    Yeah and no ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

I've done it with a white envelope from my junk mail.
    rolleyes1.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    A piece of matte white cardstock.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    What hasn't been mentioned is don't be shooting in one of the "modes" otherwise your color balance issues will be all over the map. You must shoot in Manual...get an Expodisc or Ed Pierce's calibration target (or any other viable source) and use that for custom WB setting. If you shoot AV, Program, TV, etc. the color temps will change just about every shot.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited April 23, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    What hasn't been mentioned is don't be shooting in one of the "modes" otherwise your color balance issues will be all over the map. You must shoot in Manual...get an Expodisc or Ed Pierce's calibration target (or any other viable source) and use that for custom WB setting. If you shoot AV, Program, TV, etc. the color temps will change just about every shot.

I used to think a knew a lot about photography. I am beginning to feel like I don't know anything.
  • NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    I used to think a knew a lot about photography. I am beginning to feel like I don't know anything.

I know the feeling.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
    edited April 23, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Join the club. For me, the difference between film and digital has been a whole lot more than I bargained for! But, I haven't given up hope yet!
    edited April 23, 2008
    Join the club. For me, the difference between film and digital has been a whole lot more than I bargained for! But, I haven't given up hope yet!

You ever tempted to go back to film?
    edited April 23, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    You ever tempted to go back to film?
    No, even including the cost of camera bodies, memory, computers, software, etc, digital is so much less expensive than film. Plus, from a learning standpoint, digital has a much faster turn-around time. It's all about instant gratification:D
    edited April 23, 2008
    No, even including the cost of camera bodies, memory, computers, software, etc, digital is so much less expensive than film. Plus, from a learning standpoint, digital has a much faster turn-around time. It's all about instant gratification:D

15524779-Ti.gif
    Hah, I was going to say, "NO!"
    If I had my own darkroom I might say, "No."
    But I doubt it!
    Film is my last resort backup camera.

dak.smugmug.com
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Hmmm...
    as long as you shoot in RAW it doesn't matter. A couple comments here. If you shoot in a constant defined lighting situation then pull a white-balance on a grey card ( 6 bucks) or for 20x more you can get an expodisc.

BTW: Ken Rockwell does a nice bit about it here:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/expodisc.htm

About shooting in Auto mode: a lot has to do with the camera and the lighting your in. My D300 does a great job in most situation on Auto. If I'm shooting in a nightclub and a band and the bar area and outside and in the alleyway behind the place I have no time to adjust for WB. If I'm doing copy work or studio work with controlled strobes or floods then I'll pull a WB on a grey card to get CONSISTENT (not better) results across the shot.

It's important to understand the difference between consistent color and proper color. If I'm doing a copy job of 250 book pages then consistency is very important. It's all done in manual. I still shoot RAW + Fine.
    If I'm shooting in a situation with mixed lighting I will let the camera pick the setting. My D300 does a better job than the D200 most of the time so my workflow is a tiny bit faster. Then again, my D200 did a better job over my D70. I'll guess my future D400 (Laughing.gif) will do a better job over the D300.

What's proper color in a bar (or any non-controlled situation) anyway? If they have red gels on all their cans on stage is a red saturated image accurate? or is a less saturated image with the light temp blued-up a bit better? What about adjusting color so the white shirt on the singer is actually 250/250/250? Is that correct? My rule of thumb is to make it look good. :-)

Swartzy wrote: