Depth of field

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited April 22, 2008 in People
this was a little self learning on depth of field. it is a 1.8 lense all the way. It is also 85mm hand held at a 30th of a second, which accounts for some of the lack of clarity in the most in focus areas. As you can see, you have a couple or three octives of DOF at this distance.

283273023_ik88y-XL.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    this was a little self learning on depth of field. it is a 1.8 lense all the way. It is also 85mm hand held at a 30th of a second, which accounts for some of the lack of clarity in the most in focus areas. As you can see, you have a couple or three octives of DOF at this distance.
    Not being musically inclined, my first thought was, "What is he talking about 'three octives of DOF?" Then I looked at the photo again and saw you were referring to the keyboard.:D Though, I still wonder what use this will be in other situations? ne_nau.gif
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Now if you got him at a grande piano, that would have been really awesome! I focus straight to the keyboard and not the player... not sure if that is what you are trying to get.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    So have you realized the value of using those off center focus points yet? I told ya when you were considering this lens that it will make you a better photographer. The 85 f1.8 @f1.8 is an unforgiving beast on a crop sensor body and even worse on a FF. If you were using an 85 f1.8 on a FF at f1.8 your would require a 57mm lens with an aperture of f1.2 on a crop camera to achieve like perspective and DOF.
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Blurmore wrote:
    So have you realized the value of using those off center focus points yet? I told ya when you were considering this lens that it will make you a better photographer. The 85 f1.8 @f1.8 is an unforgiving beast on a crop sensor body and even worse on a FF. If you were using an 85 f1.8 on a FF at f1.8 your would require a 57mm lens with an aperture of f1.2 on a crop camera to achieve like perspective and DOF.

I cannot agree more!

Kool website that will make you be the man when it comes to DOF:
    http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Blurmore wrote:

I have. I don't do all the time, but quite often. I also find it useful to stop it down to 2.8 or 4 at times to widen the depth of field.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Not being musically inclined, my first thought was, "What is he talking about 'three octives of DOF?" Then I looked at the photo again and saw you were referring to the keyboard.:D Though, I still wonder what use this will be in other situations? ne_nau.gif

The learning for me was this. I shot a pic of Dawson the other day. We were sitting across a both from each other at our favorite sandwich dive. I was so close with this 85mm lens it framed really tight. Looking at 100% you could see I focused on the nose which was in focus and his yes were out. But, I was about 3 feet away.

This one is taken about 10 feet away. So, now I know a waist up shot has a foot and a half or so, maybe less of depth of field.

283416964_AyTJz-XL.jpg