Options

Photoshop to vector?

sonny_csonny_c Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited April 23, 2008 in Finishing School
I create a simple logo in Photoshop. How do I convert it into a vector?

Know of any tutorials?

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    sonny_c wrote:
    I create a simple logo in Photoshop. How do I convert it into a vector?

Know of any tutorials?
    You can't unless you used paths in Photoshop. The vector-raster road is definitely a one way street.

Logos by their definition should always be created in Illustrator or a vector based design application. If you need someone to re-create your logo in vector format. Shoot me a PM. I've been using Illy for over 7 years and can do any illustration easily.

-Jon
  • Options
    sesshinsesshin Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    I don't know of any tutorials, but I often sketch logos in Photoshop and then trace them using vectors in Illustrator, perfecting the shapes. A professional logo designer I know works the same way.
  • Options
    sesshinsesshin Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    There is also Live Trace in Photoshop. Here is a pdf for it

http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/pdfs/creating_vector_content.pdf
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2008
    sesshin wrote:
    There is also Live Trace in Photoshop. Here is a pdf for it

http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/pdfs/creating_vector_content.pdf
    The only problem w/ using live trace for raster images is that you potentially get thousands of anchors to make a simple curve. To make a smooth corner in corner in illustrator, all you need is two anchors and drag a handle to wherever you want it. If you live trace a raster, it calculates all the pixels and creates up to 1000 anchors depending on the image resolution. Thus making a very simple curve, very complex. If you take that to print, you'll see the "jaggies" which will look allot like aliasing on a web page. (the thousand anchors is just a round number. No math behind it)

Really, if you want to re-output a simple logo, I'll be happy to give you a hand offline via email or whatever. The other options may be viable in a few more years of product development, but not anytime soon.

Best,
    -Jon
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2008
    sesshin wrote:
    I don't know of any tutorials, but I often sketch logos in Photoshop and then trace them using vectors in Illustrator, perfecting the shapes. A professional logo designer I know works the same way.
    To each their own. Seems like a mighty big waste of time if your going to output vector art anyway. It's not like your going to use any of the blending modes or effects of Ps in the final illustration anyway. ne_nau.gif

Does your friend have a blog on his workflow? I'm always open to new ideas if they prove to be more useful though.
  • Options
    sonny_csonny_c Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Thanks guys for your suggestions.

I tried live trace but the results were not good. So I went ahead and recreated my logo in Illustrator. All is good!

In photoshop I have custom templates I created for business cards, t-shits, signs, and vehicle advertisement. This brings me to my next question. How do I use the vector file in Photoshop?
    edited April 23, 2008
    sonny_c wrote:
    Thanks guys for your suggestions.

I tried live trace but the results were not good. So I went ahead and recreated my logo in Illustrator. All is good!

In photoshop I have custom templates I created for business cards, t-shits, signs, and vehicle advertisement. This brings me to my next question. How do I use the vector file in Photoshop?
    You can export an ai file as a psd and it will convert the entire document to raster. Youcan also keep layer integrity and other things to keep a productive workflow.

Happy to hear you resolved your first issue w/ your logo thumb.gif