New crop

evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited April 24, 2008 in People
I posted this a while back, wanted to get a feel on what was thought of this crop and treatment. C & C welcome!

After:
283254844_mqpZQ-L-1.jpg

Before:
283254786_JXHqE-L-2.jpg

Original:
229011863_F5p2e-M.jpg
Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 23, 2008
    Crop and treatment look good to me. One distracting nit is that strap or bracelet on her wrist. Nice, warm expression.

Cheers,
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    I really love her expression and the lighting.

The arm... well... lets just say that I am not so fond of its placement. (not too flattering of a position)

You did a great job with it, though. :D I don't know what I would have done differently to make it work, so I am lots of help, huh.headscratch.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Crop and treatment look good to me. One distracting nit is that strap or bracelet on her wrist. Nice, warm expression.

Cheers,

Thanks for the comment! I was looking at it last night and the strap kept hitting me too. Back to the drawing board there. headscratch.gif

I really love her expression and the lighting.

The arm... well... lets just say that I am not so fond of its placement. (not too flattering of a position)

You did a great job with it, though. :D I don't know what I would have done differently to make it work, so I am lots of help, huh.headscratch.gif

Yeah it does help! It's stuff that I see but am not sure how I feel about. I think I should post before and after like you!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    You did a great job. thumb.gif My advice to you next time is bring the arm down a bit toward her chest to avoid the shadow. The arm coming at the camera tends to draw the eye to that arm first and then the face second.

Nonetheless - your image is very sharp & you have a beautiful model there.
    edited April 23, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    You did a great job. thumb.gif My advice to you next time is bring the arm down a bit toward her chest to avoid the shadow. The arm coming at the camera tends to draw the eye to that arm first and then the face second.

Nonetheless - your image is very sharp & you have a beautiful model there.

Thank you very much! I got this shot because I asked her to move her hair off her face. I loved the expression she gave me and the head tilt. It was one of the best in the series, but the arm was still in the way. :giggle
    You win some, you lose some. ne_nau.gif

I edited my original post so it has the original and the crop before retouch.

dak.smugmug.com
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    I like what you've done with it!
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    I think what may be giving you some difficulty is trying to crop a head shot out of a lower angle shot. The original frame seems to work better as it is...once cropped then the arm becomes a little in the way....although, in the original, her arm is much bigger than her head (again, the low angle shot contributed). This is a tricky one. I wonder if you have others that may work out better???thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Richard wrote:

Cheers,

I feel I am getting better at this--I noticed the same thing--I like the crop. I wonder if you could clone the bracelet
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    This photo is not working for me. She has a very warm expression (like others have already said), but the elbow to wrist shot of her arm - it just takes over the photo. I even tried a square crop (removing from the bottom of the shot) to see reducing the arm a bit would help - still not working for me.

Just my $0.02 worth, but that's what I see.
    edited April 24, 2008
    BriShay wrote:
    I like what you've done with it!
    Thank you!
    Swartzy wrote:
    I think what may be giving you some difficulty is trying to crop a head shot out of a lower angle shot. The original frame seems to work better as it is...once cropped then the arm becomes a little in the way....although, in the original, her arm is much bigger than her head (again, the low angle shot contributed). This is a tricky one. I wonder if you have others that may work out better???
    Thanks for the comment! I do have a few more that I plan to work on. I figured I'd try this first because of the expression.
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I feel I am getting better at this--I noticed the same thing--I like the crop. I wonder if you could clone the bracelet
    I think I can make it disappear. Thanks!
    This photo is not working for me. She has a very warm expression (like others have already said), but the elbow to wrist shot of her arm - it just takes over the photo. I even tried a square crop (removing from the bottom of the shot) to see reducing the arm a bit would help - still not working for me.
    Just my $0.02 worth, but that's what I see.
    I know what I like about it is that the arm frames her face on her left while her hair frames her face on her right. But her arm came out larger that I would have liked. Maybe if it was her hair and not her arm it would look better. ne_nau.gif Ironic because I was trying to get her hair out of the way (from in front of her eyes). Maybe I'll just clone her hair over. :giggle

Thanks!

dak.smugmug.com