Community Theater - Tom Sawyer

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited April 23, 2008 in People
Every once in a while, I have the opportunity to shoot a dress rehearsal of a local community theater group. These are shots from the current production, Tom Sawyer.

All were shot with Canon 30D, ISO 800, using either EF-S 17-55 or Ef 70-200 f/2.8L IS, at f/3.5 (more or less). Light, as you might imagine was not great, but I was able, in a few instances to get shutter speeds as high as 1/100. C&C welcome - should you wish to spend the time :D

1. Tom and his aunt:
283471472_mT7qw-L.jpg

2. Tom and Becky
283472375_C5ZMW-L.jpg

3. Tom and Huck
283472459_GhcwT-L.jpg

4. The congregation
283474409_T27T3-L.jpg

5. Tom attempting to impress Becky (and succeeding!)
283475432_yc9Ns-L.jpg

Comments

• BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Sharp enough, nice WB, not too much noise...must be a Canon shooter :P j/k I'm not trying to start drama. Stage lighting is THE single greatest challenge for DSLR's ever, only thing that makes it worse is dancing. I think you could nix maximum dynamic range on a few of these in favor of a little more contrast, I also think number 4 might be a little bright, you have a natural pool of light and fall off that could benefit the mood if it was a little darker.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Scott......I absolutely LOVE the "congregation". That rocks! They are all nicely done and composed. Brightness on our different monitors is always a tough thing to deal with...I guess a print will define it (well, blinkies or blown areas on the histogram will tell immediately..Laughing.gif).

Tom & Becky are adorable (#2). What a great catch. Yea man....keep up the good work.....noise levels on the 30D at 800 are nothing to fear....now the Xti....that's a bit different game...Laughing.gif.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Nice....very nice. I also am leaning toward the church scene as a favorite.

Thanks for sharing!!
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Scott,

Extremely well done! I absolutely love them... thumb.gif

Winston
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Wonderful! clap.gif

This is my fav. of the set:
    283474409_T27T3-Th.jpg

Theater can be diffult to the lighting, but I think you nailed it!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Blurmore wrote:
    Sharp enough, nice WB, not too much noise...must be a Canon shooter :P j/k I'm not trying to start drama. Stage lighting is THE single greatest challenge for DSLR's ever, only thing that makes it worse is dancing. I think you could nix maximum dynamic range on a few of these in favor of a little more contrast, I also think number 4 might be a little bright, you have a natural pool of light and fall off that could benefit the mood if it was a little darker.
    I may take some time to look at that one again. The light you see there is pretty much how they lit the scene - but who says photograhy can't improve on reality:D - Thanks for looking!
    Swartzy wrote:
    Scott......I absolutely LOVE the "congregation". That rocks! They are all nicely done and composed. Brightness on our different monitors is always a tough thing to deal with...I guess a print will define it (well, blinkies or blown areas on the histogram will tell immediately..Laughing.gif).

Tom & Becky are adorable (#2). What a great catch. Yea man....keep up the good work.....noise levels on the 30D at 800 are nothing to fear....now the Xti....that's a bit different game...Laughing.gif.
    Thanks for the kind words. It was fun!
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Nice....very nice. I also am leaning toward the church scene as a favorite.

Thanks for sharing!!
    Yes, the church scene was is one of the better ones. I think I can improve on the Tom & Becky one though (and probably will in the next day or so).
    Scott,

Extremely well done! I absolutely love them...

Winston
    Thanks.
    aktse wrote:
    Wonderful! clap.gif

This is my fav. of the set:

283474409_T27T3-Th.jpg

Theater can be diffult to the lighting, but I think you nailed it!
    Hey there April! Thanks for looking. And, you're right - theater is very difficult to photograph, even more so than are most wedding receptions :D Makes for good practice!