Skin Tutes result. Am I getting there?

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited May 21, 2008 in People
I have been doing some of the tutorials.... How am I doing?
1. This one has a slight desaturation for some fun.
This is the after:
This is the last one I worked on, and I like the results the best of the three...

283503354_uswxw-M.jpg
the before :
283499028_x2aCD-M.jpg

2. The after:
283496430_jzHwx-M.jpg
The before:
283499568_iJ97V-M.jpg
3. The After:
283503556_m4qmq-M.jpg
The before:
283499307_TSJEH-M.jpg

Anyway... I didn't quite understand ALL of the tutes, but I figured out the high key low key bit and used that pretty well. It is way simpler than I expected.

Do you think the skin tones are too plastic? Seriously, guys, let me know how I did.

I have to do a wedding with this same girl (my sis) at the end of May, so I need to get some skin touchups figured out better. I won't be doing all of the pictures touched up to this extent, she just needs some nice portraits for her wedding.

Comments and constructive criticism are extra welcome. :ear

Comments

• BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Only 3 looks a little plastic to me, mostly because the hat shadow line is un naturally soft. If you are using a layer mask I'd just paint less mask over this area. They all might benefit from some general softening too, duplicate background layer, gaussian blur at like 20-40 pixels then kick the opacity down to like 25/30 percent.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    I agree with the above post on #3 being the only one that looks a little too far. Allow a few of the lines to "gently" show through. Overall, though, you did a fantastic job, especially with the coloring on #1.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    I agree with the above post on #3 being the only one that looks a little too far. Allow a few of the lines to "gently" show through. Overall, though, you did a fantastic job, especially with the coloring on #1.

Me too!!!

BTW very nice compositions!!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Good job Heather. Yes, the 3rd is a bit much on the face (as it doesn't match the rest of the photo) but you done good. Sometimes the yellows/oranges are intensified if you are using a "multiply" layer ..often times it needs dialed back a little.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Laughing.gif...I like #3 best.

Opinions.....

:-)

Travis wrote:
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    I like #1 the most. I actually do not think #3 needed at lot of skin retouching at all, especially on her left side but I like the way the colors in the after pop.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Blurmore wrote:
    Only 3 looks a little plastic to me, mostly because the hat shadow line is un naturally soft. If you are using a layer mask I'd just paint less mask over this area. They all might benefit from some general softening too, duplicate background layer, gaussian blur at like 20-40 pixels then kick the opacity down to like 25/30 percent.

Thanks for the encouragement & pointers! I am going to figure this out if it kills me!
    edited April 23, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    I totally agree with you about three... it is just a bit too far. But I think it will be easy to pull it back a hair.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!:D
    edited April 23, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Me too!!!

BTW very nice compositions!!

Thanks for noticing that! There is more to life then photoshope, I guess! (thank goodness!) :D:D
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Wow, nice work! What tutorials did you use to do these?
    edited April 23, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Good job Heather. Yes, the 3rd is a bit much on the face (as it doesn't match the rest of the photo) but you done good. Sometimes the yellows/oranges are intensified if you are using a "multiply" layer ..often times it needs dialed back a little.
    Thanks Swartzy.... Now I need to go get out my photoshop manual to understand what in the world you just said. :giggle But I am sure it was good advice, Laughing.gif!:giggle
    edited April 23, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Wow, nice work! What tutorials did you use to do these?

On the little words above the threads on diggrin, the tutorials link is listed inbetween Reviews and Gallery in white letters. See it? Its right there.
    edited April 23, 2008
    Laughing.gif...I like #3 best.

Opinions.....

:-)
    I like that one too, especially after I stared after it for an hour... dodging and burning till the cows came home. Now I have to re look at it and re-evaluate. Thanks for taking the time to comment! Everyone's preferences are different, and that is what makes life fun!
    edited April 23, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I like #1 the most. I actually do not think #3 needed at lot of skin retouching at all, especially on her left side but I like the way the colors in the after pop.

I like #1 the best too. (mostly due to the light, but I do have to admit the processing turned out really nice too.)

I guess when to retouch is the next thing to learn! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the time it took you to comment!
  • Ike615Ike615 Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    good work. You should check out christy schuler tutorials. She has a great and very easy way to fix up skin that can take less than a minute. She also has ome pretty awesome symmetry, eye, hair, and contouring tutorials. Link is here: http://www.christyschuler.com/retouching.html
    Isaac Lane Koval
    www.kovalproductions.com
    Canon 5D & 30D:
    24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 70-200 f4L, 85mm f.1.2L II, 35mm f1.4L, 28-135mm f.3.5-5.6 IS, 580EX

edited May 21, 2008
    Thanks Isaac... sounds fun! I will do that!
    edited May 21, 2008
    Thanks Isaac... sounds fun! I will do that!
    Isaac-
    I just did the first basic skin touchup tutorial- that was stinking easy! Thanks so much for that link! I love how much easier it is to follow with the video rather than deciphering someone's description. Really cool stuff! When I get through downloading the rest of the videos and finish my file, I'll share an example of my attempts at lady's technique! Pretty cool stuff!
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Ike615 wrote:
    good work. You should check out christy schuler tutorials. She has a great and very easy way to fix up skin that can take less than a minute. She also has ome pretty awesome symmetry, eye, hair, and contouring tutorials. Link is here: http://www.christyschuler.com/retouching.html

Good info there!
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5