First Senior Portraits

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited April 24, 2008 in People
Hey all,
This was my first attempt at doing some senior portraits. C&C welcome.

281726866_SDa2a-L.jpg

281746598_rraJf-L.jpg

281736577_ZWeDG-L.jpg

281892230_HcB6W-L.jpg
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Overall I think you have done a nice job. I like the pose in #1 best. It seems more natural than the fist under the chin of number 2. Two also seems as if maybe it were overflashed(?) as it appears you have knocked out all those natural shadows that typically shape a face. I might like #3 better in a different crop...or...if he had worn long pants. As it is, it seems like an odd place to crop the legs...especially with all the space to the right. #4 is perfectly executed, but again...#1 is my favorite.

Great job...thanks for sharing!!
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Overall I think you have done a nice job. I like the pose in #1 best. It seems more natural than the fist under the chin of number 2. Two also seems as if maybe it were overflashed(?) as it appears you have knocked out all those natural shadows that typically shape a face. I might like #3 better in a different crop...or...if he had worn long pants. As it is, it seems like an odd place to crop the legs...especially with all the space to the right. #4 is perfectly executed, but again...#1 is my favorite.

Great job...thanks for sharing!!

Thanks. I was unsure about the crop on #3, but couldn't figure a better way to do it while keeping the ratio. I'm open to suggestions!
    Emily

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Thanks. I was unsure about the crop on #3, but couldn't figure a better way to do it while keeping the ratio. I'm open to suggestions!

More than likely you have no need for that ratio. It appears to be a 4x6?

The bulk of what is typically printed...in my limited experience...for senior photos are wallet sized shots that are sent out with graduation invitations. The wallets will be the same crop as that for a 5x7.

It does become a tad tight at his head and hands in a wallet or 5x7 ratio...and the bare skin of his legs still shows though I personally wouldn't add much more space to the right than this. Ok....theres my $.02. If you get the same from a hundred others you can get yourself a cup of coffee!!!rolleyes1.gif

PS...I also gave it a slight bump in saturation and contrast....just for kicks!

283559369_3oURq-M.jpg
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Very nice Emily! thumb.gif 1,3,&4 are my favorites, great smile on 4...

Winston
  • CassisPCassisP Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    I agree with dad. 1 and 4 are my favs... Great job. clap.gif
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    I like the color tone on the last one the best.

This raises a question I would like to ask, at the risk of derailing this thread:

Suppose we want the color on the face to be teh same in all. I like #4 best, so we want to try to get the color in the face as close to #4 in all of them, we don't weant to do any selecting/ masking, and we don't care what that does the the Color balance of the rest of the image. Is there a reasonably easy way to do that in photoshop?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Very nice Emily! #1 is my favorite. He looks very relaxed and natural. Since the elbow is so prominent, I might clone out the scar on it. #4 is my next fav. The colors look really good (at least on my monitor!) and again, he looks relaxed. I also like Jeffreux' crop on #3. I'd say you did very well for your first senior shoot! thumb.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Thanks everyone, for the great feedback!
    Emily

• SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    The first one is my favorite. Good job.