Poor Hoverfly

ColMofedColMofed Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited April 23, 2008 in Holy Macro
I decided to see what I could find in the back garden this afternoon instead of walking to the park. This was my first time shooting here as its not a very inspiring place. That's now changed :)

This poor hoverfly had a broken wing and was crawling around on a dandelion bud. It seemed more concerned with feeding from this than trying to fly off (although it did try a couple of times). Maybe it excepted its fate and decided to have a good feast.

Eventually it crawled down the stem about half way before dropping to the ground. The last I saw it was heading off towards the pond at the bottom of the garden.

Rod.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Cropped slightly for composition.
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

His best side.
original.jpg
Rod
Bristol, UK.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Lovely series of shots- Sometimes see this in flying bugs where one or both the wings are not expanded properly,
    Brian V.
  • MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Love them all - but the last one made me smile as it looks like a 'pounting' lip!
    I just love their eyes!
    Michelle Legg :smooch

michellelegg.com
    http://legg.smugmug.com/
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    ColMofed wrote:
    I decided to see what I could find in the back garden this afternoon instead of walking to the park. This was my first time shooting here as its not a very inspiring place. That's now changed :)

This poor hoverfly had a broken wing and was crawling around on a dandelion bud. It seemed more concerned with feeding from this than trying to fly off (although it did try a couple of times). Maybe it excepted its fate and decided to have a good feast.

Eventually it crawled down the stem about half way before dropping to the ground. The last I saw it was heading off towards the pond at the bottom of the garden.

Rod.

How photogenic is this little guy iloveyou.gif
    Beautifully done, like portraits, and that last one does look like he is pouting rolleyes1.gif nice looking little guy too.

Great captures Rod, did you use a flash with these? .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Bet that made you smile!
    It did for me!... Great series! It’s hard to explain to people the enjoyment we get from spending this much time hunkered down with a BUG. Glad we have this place to share them.
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    It did for me!... Great series! It’s hard to explain to people the enjoyment we get from spending this much time hunkered down with a BUG. Glad we have this place to share them.

15524779-Ti.gif

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited April 23, 2008
  • ColMofedColMofed Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Thank you everyone. This is my crowning achievement so far and I'm glad you like them - but probably not as much as me. :D

Brian - do you mean that the wing/s don't expand when they wake? And if so, do they ever expand fully?

Michelle - I never noticed that but I can see it now :D

Skippy - yes, I use flash. I use the same setup as described in Brians tutorial but with a Novaflex flash bracket, and Ive upgraded to two sheets of kitchen towel.

MM - Oh yeah. My face was aching by the time I'd finished sorting through the sixty or so images. If he'd stayed on the bud I would have probably ended up with a full memory card :)

tlee & Phil - thanks guy's. The lightings really nothing to do with me, well, what I mean is, I'm still trying to get my head around flash. ne_nau.gif

Thanks again,
    Rod.
    Rod
    Bristol, UK.