Portfolio piece?

davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
edited April 24, 2008 in People
I'm generally not a fan of sepia toning but I feel this works. It was too cold as a grayscale. The lighting in the place was all mixed up too. Sunlight filtered in windows, green fluorescents, hard yellow incandescent ceiling lights too.

254247265_eq2ug-M.png

Comments

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    David,

I think the portrait is perfect in sepia! does it have a title?

Winston
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    "Marion and Cindy"

...and thanks.
    David,

I think the portrait is perfect in sepia! does it have a title?

Winston
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    I like the sepia, too, but I think the image would benefit from a little curve adjustment to bring out a little more contrast in their faces.
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif - a little more contast in the faces would greatly improve it. The choice of sepia is right on!

But, Portfolio piece? - I don't think so. For me the belt, or whatever it is, is a huge distracter.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 23, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif - a little more contast in the faces would greatly improve it. The choice of sepia is right on!

But, Portfolio piece? - I don't think so. For me the belt, or whatever it is, is a huge distracter.

I agree with Scott. I like the toning, but you need to raise the black point a bit. The strap is a distraction; the hairpiece seems inconsistent with the expression.
    edited April 23, 2008
    Interesting comment....how so?

Richard wrote:
    I agree with Scott. I like the toning, but you need to raise the black point a bit. The strap is a distraction; the hairpiece seems inconsistent with the expression.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 23, 2008
    Interesting comment....how so?
    The hairpiece looks festive. She does not look happy, perhaps even in pain.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Looks to me like someone is getting treated as a queen for a day, complete with crown and sash. The expressions say to me that something deeper is going on here, but I won't venture a guess unless I'm completely off base. I like the sepia tone, and the mood is poignant.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited April 24, 2008
    She was actually the Valentine Day Queen at the assisted-living facility she stays at in central Texas. The other person is her daughter. The mother, Marion, suffers from a variety of symptoms including alzheimer's and dementia, at some points in this shoot she was aware of the camera and even posed a bit for me. I generally don't explain the photos when I originally post them. Even nature shots are sometimes vaguely titled so to leave more of the visual processing to the viewer.

Thanks for the comment Elaine!
    Elaine wrote:
    Looks to me like someone is getting treated as a queen for a day, complete with crown and sash. The expressions say to me that something deeper is going on here, but I won't venture a guess unless I'm completely off base. I like the sepia tone, and the mood is poignant.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    She was actually the Valentine Day Queen at the assisted-living facility she stays at in central Texas. The other person is her daughter. The mother, Marion, suffers from a variety of symptoms including alzheimer's and dementia, at some points in this shoot she was aware of the camera and even posed a bit for me. I generally don't explain the photos when I originally post them. Even nature shots are sometimes vaguely titled so to leave more of the visual processing to the viewer.

Thanks for the comment Elaine!

Thanks for sharing more. This is exactly the story I had in my mind. Very touching and raw.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography