Options

Surreal Sunsets

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited April 24, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I know they're landscape shots but with the amount of PP work, I figured they'd be better in Other Cool Shots. I was taking these from a moving car. I was sat in the passenger seat simply holding the camera over the back seat out of the window so there was no composition. I hadn't even noticed that I was shooting at 55mm. Thought I was at a wider focal length not zoomed in at 55mm.

Anyway, I decided to play around with PS and some Tiffen filters.

For this 1st shot, I wish I'd not been zoomed. That said, it's still a nice enough shot I think :) Pity I didn't get the entire pylon in. Mind you there is some adherence to the rule of 3rds with the tops of the trees and the pylon is almost in the right hand 3rd :) Oh, and try to ignore the lamp post. hehe.

283588805_XGx3y-O.jpg

This was a Soft White diffusion filter.

283589183_LmXZB-O.jpg

Sunset filter. It helped bring a bit more orange out :)

283589015_TkhLq-O.jpg

Can't even remember which one this was but as you can see, it's a variation on the one above.

283588968_G7C9f-O.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Wow, nice stuff! You say you used Tiffen filters? Is this a type of filter in Photoshop or a physical filter that goes on teh lens?
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    Thank you. :)

Well, Tiffen are a company that do indeed make filters for cameras. However, I used a Filter set by Tiffen for Photoshop.

I think they're the same company although I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Yup very surreal.
    I like them.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    IPClark wrote:
    I know they're landscape shots but with the amount of PP work, I figured they'd be better in Other Cool Shots. I was taking these from a moving car. I was sat in the passenger seat simply holding the camera over the back seat out of the window so there was no composition. I hadn't even noticed that I was shooting at 55mm. Thought I was at a wider focal length not zoomed in at 55mm.

Anyway, I decided to play around with PS and some Tiffen filters.

For this 1st shot, I wish I'd not been zoomed. That said, it's still a nice enough shot I think :) Pity I didn't get the entire pylon in. Mind you there is some adherence to the rule of 3rds with the tops of the trees and the pylon is almost in the right hand 3rd :) Oh, and try to ignore the lamp post. hehe.
    This was a Soft White diffusion filter.
    Sunset filter. It helped bring a bit more orange out :)
    Can't even remember which one this was but as you can see, it's a variation on the one above.

They all look good nod.gif I am drawn to the first one,
    Love the colour, would make a nice post that one clap.gif
    I think you did a real nice job of all of these ... well done!
    .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    They all look good nod.gif I am drawn to the first one,
    Love the colour, would make a nice post that one clap.gif
    I think you did a real nice job of all of these ... well done!
    .... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy :)

Do you mean a separate post of it's own? EDIT: I just realised you meant poster :). Appreciate the compliments)

I do wish I'd got the full pylon in though.. heh
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Do you have any links to the filters that you used for this? I tried checking out the Tiffen site, and I found some photoshop plugins, but nothing that looks like it could do what you did here. Really love these and would like to try my hand at them!
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Do you have any links to the filters that you used for this? I tried checking out the Tiffen site, and I found some photoshop plugins, but nothing that looks like it could do what you did here. Really love these and would like to try my hand at them!

Certainly. They are the Tiffen DFX software filters found here. :)

Demos
    http://www.tiffen.com/dfx_downloads.html - Mac and Windows versions here.

There is also a full list of what is included on this page
    http://www.tiffen.com/dfx_sa_filtercats_editions.html
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    You really added a boost to the sunsets....just beautiful.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    You really added a boost to the sunsets....just beautiful.

Thank you Dogdots. I figured that although any sunset shot is a beautiful shot, that I'd try to step out of the boundaries a little and see what I could come up with. Have to admit that I am pleased myself :)
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    IPClark wrote:
    Thank you Dogdots. I figured that although any sunset shot is a beautiful shot, that I'd try to step out of the boundaries a little and see what I could come up with. Have to admit that I am pleased myself :)

Your welcome Ian....those are definitly photos you should be very please with.