Options

the sky isn't the limit...

don corleyonedon corleyone Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited April 24, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
... it's my playground.

here are some shots i took around the dropzone this weekend, waiting for the winds to die down enough for me to jump:

1 manifest office and observation area
AFF1007.jpg

2 student and tandem rigs
AFF1016.jpg

3 student jumpsuits (i have NO clue what the winnie the pooh jumpsuit is all about)
AFF1017.jpg

4 packing area and staff & fun jumpers rigs
AFF1029.jpg

5 waiting to board
AFF1027.jpg

6 skydivers only
AFF1036.jpg

7 brian germain, a canopy test pilot riding a very tiny (90sf) canopy - fast as hell
AFF1047.jpg

AFF1053.jpg

AFF1056.jpg

AFF1061.jpg

AFF1066.jpg

AFF1072.jpg

AFF1082.jpg

AFF1103.jpg

AFF1111.jpg

17 more gratuitous use of the sign
AFF1147.jpg

18 swooping
AFF1175.jpg

AFF1178.jpg

AFF1182.jpg

21 tandem jump
AFF1240.jpg

AFF1257.jpg

AFF1263.jpg

geek data:

rebel XT
wide shots: 17-85 f/4.5
long shots: 70-200 f/2.8L

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Enjoyed seeing your playground. I couldn't play on that playground...I'm afraid of flying :D
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Appreciate seeing your pics. Definitely some nice ones in there. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    ... it's my playground.
    here are some shots i took around the dropzone this weekend, waiting for the winds to die down enough for me to jump:

geek data:
    rebel XT

I like your playground, but I couldn't do it ....... nope not me.
    Watching people do a parachute jump is very enjoyable.

I like the feel of the earth under my feet rolleyes1.gif
    I'd be sick, I don't like spinning or the sense of falling.

These are a great sequence of events captures clap.gif
    Looks like a heap of fun if you can get over the fear factor .
    ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Woop woop! The Corley strikes again. :D

Yanno I might actually considering jumping out of a plane after this set. How'd you like the 70-200?
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Interesting series. I can't help but notice the shoes on the shelf in #2. Do you have special shoes for sky diving or any tennis shoes would do?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2008
    thx guys! it was nice to be taking photos again, i've been a bit of a homebody lately.

the shoes are regular lace-up sneakers. sometimes people show up for their first jump wearing totally inappropriate shoes or clothes. falling from 14,000 ft at 120mph in high heels or flip-flops doesn't work.

schmoo wrote:
    Woop woop! The Corley strikes again. :D

Yanno I might actually considering jumping out of a plane after this set. How'd you like the 70-200?

you and your husband are welcome at the DZ anytime. it's a fun place to hang out, and there's nothing like a first skydive.

the lens is fast, heavy, and fun. totally different kind of shooting for me, so it was a challenge and a welcome change of pace.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif
    =don corleyone6 skydivers only
    AFF1036.jpg

geek data:

rebel XT

skydivers think they are so special pilots arnt even allowed...rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    lol3.gif I can fly without a jumper, but can a jumper jump without a pilot?!

Seriously though, cool shots! The student and tandem rigs shot as a certain attraction for me, for some reason thumb.gif Are you an instructor as well? If so, looks like Schmoo might be your next student :D
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Nice series of shots! Of course, there is no reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane!

Funny, last Saturday I was bopping around eastern Long Island, and stopped in at the Calverton airfield, once home to Grumman F-14s, which now hosts a skydiving center. It was fun to watch (and photograph) from the ground.
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    I especially liked #16. Wonder whats on his mind? Probably re-living his flight
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited April 23, 2008
    moose135 wrote:
    ... Of course, there is no reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane!

sure there is: the door was open!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Don posted: falling from 14,000 ft at 120mph in high heels or flip-flops doesn't work.

I'd rather jump at 14,000 feet than 500 feet in the dead of night over trees. :D

Sam
  • Options
    CassisPCassisP Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    My first thought was "please tell me he took pics while skydiving..." sorry I am disapointed... (no just kidding, though that would have been awesome)

nice shots though thumb.gif
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008

I think it means skydivers aren't allowed to come back from that point, no chickenin' out here lol3.gif

Exciting shots, although I think I'd still prefer the pilot's seat :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Hey Don... Is this Chambersburg, Pennsylvania? If so that's just up the road from me... I have allways wanted to try skydiving... Let me know where it is so I can come check it out... nice shots by the way... thumb.gif

Winston
    ... it's my playground.

1 manifest office and observation area
    AFF1007.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    Hey Don... Is this Chambersburg, Pennsylvania? If so that's just up the road from me... I have allways wanted to try skydiving... Let me know where it is so I can come check it out... nice shots by the way... thumb.gif

Winston

yep, sure is! the people there are great and the instructors are top-notch. they're really enthusiastic about helping people learn the sport. you should check em out. here's the link for more info:

http://www.skydivingcenter.net/index.htm

i will definitely take photos in free fall once i get licensed. i'll strap my XT to the top of my helmet and get a mouth-operated shutter release.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    yep, sure is! the people there are great and the instructors are top-notch. they're really enthusiastic about helping people learn the sport. you should check em out. here's the link for more info:

http://www.skydivingcenter.net/index.htm

i will definitely take photos in free fall once i get licensed. i'll strap my XT to the top of my helmet and get a mouth-operated shutter release.

have you ever seen fisheye freefall shots?mwink.gif
    Aaron Nelson