Options

Aperture 2 / RAW problem...

ElcarterosElcarteros Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited January 24, 2009 in Finishing School
Im not sure if this is the right place to post, But...

I am new to RAW format so I am shooting JPEG and sRAW images to get used to RAW manipulation.

Upon my first import into Aperture 2, I have all these blacked out .CR2 images that will not open, and also some images that show a thumbnail of "unsupported image format".

What is a .CR2 image, and how do I get Aperture to recognize it?

Help Please!!!

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    .CR2 is one of many RAW formats.

It may be that you need to update your OS to the latest version-- Aperture uses OS X's built-in RAW capabilities to view RAW files. This gets updated as Apple updates their OS.

The workaround would be to convert your .CR2 files to Adobe's DNG. DNG is a standardized Raw format that was designed to deal with this very problem.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    You didn't mention what camera. .CR2 is not specific enough.

Aperture supports the RAW files from every Canon Digital SLR I'm aware of, save the new XSi (aka 450D). Given past history, I'd expect support for that camera will come along soon enough (it's brand new).

The only thing Aperture does *not* support is the sRAW format (which is a truncated RAW file). Are you really shooting sRAW? If so, I have to wonder why... it's like a 3 megapixel image size. Why give up all the sensor resolution for something that's no faster to shoot than a full-sized RAW?

Anyway if you're shooting sRAW that's your problem.

I don't agree with the previous comment to convert stuff to DNG... that's not likely to be necessary.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    You didn't mention what camera. .CR2 is not specific enough.

Aperture supports the RAW files from every Canon Digital SLR I'm aware of, save the new XSi (aka 450D). Given past history, I'd expect support for that camera will come along soon enough (it's brand new).

The only thing Aperture does *not* support is the sRAW format (which is a truncated RAW file). Are you really shooting sRAW? If so, I have to wonder why... it's like a 3 megapixel image size. Why give up all the sensor resolution for something that's no faster to shoot than a full-sized RAW?

Anyway if you're shooting sRAW that's your problem.

I don't agree with the previous comment to convert stuff to DNG... that's not likely to be necessary.

Um, that was a workaround, assuming that the initial suggestion (upgrading OS to get the latest RAW support) didn't work. :D

Thanks for the information about sRAW though: this entry has more information about that.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    I got your private message on this as well. The very best way is to not PM anyone. Always post in the forum, thanks!
  • Options
    ElcarterosElcarteros Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 23, 2008
    come to find out it was the fact that it was a sRAW image, I didn't realize that RAW and sRAW are separate file types. I was having space issues so I opted for the "smaller" image to play with. Well, Aperture 2 says "No". Now I know.
    And I will stick to RAW or JPEG. I Hope they fix it soon

BTW: I was shooting with a Canon 40D, Aperture 2.1, and all recent updates on OS X 10.4.11

Thanks for all your input,
    headscratch.gif I was getting head wounds from all the keyboard banging ne_nau.gif
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    bowdown.gif

thumb.gif
  • Options
    dionwrdionwr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2008

It may be that you need to update your OS to the latest version-- Aperture uses OS X's built-in RAW capabilities to view RAW files. This gets updated as Apple updates their OS.

The workaround would be to convert your .CR2 files to Adobe's DNG. DNG is a standardized Raw format that was designed to deal with this very problem.

And for another newbie, who has just gotten himself the XSi and Aperture, HOW does one go about converting .CR2 to DNG? Will the Canon disc (which I hadn't installed) do this?
  • Options
    rrcolejrrrcolejr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    dionwr wrote:
    And for another newbie, who has just gotten himself the XSi and Aperture, HOW does one go about converting .CR2 to DNG? Will the Canon disc (which I hadn't installed) do this?

Do a search for DNG and you will find the Adobe site where you can download a program to do the conversion. That is what I am currently doing until they come out with support for the Xsi. Pain in the butt with having to convert then import into Aperture.

Ronnie
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    dionwr wrote:
    You get the RAW -> DNG converter from the Adobe website (link)
  • Options
    dionwrdionwr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2008
    You get the RAW -> DNG converter from the Adobe website (link)

Bless you!
  • Options
    robingrobing Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 23, 2009
    MarkR wrote:

I have a d700, so my raw extension is .nef and I just updated and upgraded Aperture to the latest version, so now I can see my raw files but they are tiny in the viewer area, not much bigger than the thumbnails, but my jpegs in the older projects look fine. Should I redownload the raw files from my camera or is there some way to fix the view of the raw files? Do they need to be converted to .dng, and how would I do that?
    Thanks
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    robing wrote:
    I have a d700, so my raw extension is .nef and I just updated and upgraded Aperture to the latest version, so now I can see my raw files but they are tiny in the viewer area, not much bigger than the thumbnails, but my jpegs in the older projects look fine. Should I redownload the raw files from my camera or is there some way to fix the view of the raw files? Do they need to be converted to .dng, and how would I do that?
    Thanks

What is the "latest version?" You need Aperture 2.1.2 or later (1.5.6 won't work). Just checking.

Also, if you imported the images before Aperture displayed them and then updated, you need to "migrate" the images. I forget the menu option, maybe Aperture->Migrate images?