Hey Josh... These turned out GREAT!

Wow!
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Very nice shots, Dad thumb.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Josh - This may be some of the best work you've posted to date. You can be very proud of these results. These turned out so great I'm going to have to resort to nits to pick:D

What I see right!
    • Good seperation of hair and his shirt from background. The light on the hair is doing a wonderful job, especially on him.
    • #1 - Nice angle on her body
    • #2 - the seperation is even better here than in #1
    • #4 - I like the way you've used the sun to light them up. And, you've done a wonderful job of balancing flash with the ambient light. It's really difficult, though one can if they work at it, to tell that you did in fact use flash. Very nicely done!
    • Nice catchlights in all of them
    Now for the nits
    • #1, #2 - somewhat of a distracting shadow over her left eye, caused by her hair.
    • #2 - There's some hair/shadow that is cutting right through her left eye
    • #4 - While I like the use of the sun to put a glow in her hair, I'm left wondering if it might not have been a bit better had only one side of her head been lit.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 23, 2008
    These are excellent, Josh. About the only thing I would change here is the hair glow in #4, which IMO calls too much attention to itself. Well done. clap.gif

Cheers,
  • codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Great shots and such wonderful expressions!

I'm with some of the other members with the hair light being a bit much, but it's really a minor point in a beautiful shot.
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Looks like you have nailed it to me!!!:D

Very nicely done.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    These are really good! #1 she needs a wider grin to be like the other shots where we get to see the teeth!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    thanks for the kind words. I do feel like at times I am learning. I also feel I am getting pickier faster than I am getting better, if that makes any sense. I think my pics are getting better, but I am not as pleased with my work as i was two months ago. I guess this is a good thing.

As predicted, this lense is a blessing and a curse. Tack sharp, but really narrow depth of field. On that last one (I think I was shooting at 3.5 and still dropped him a bit out of focus I selected him in post and gave him some extra sharpness to recover him. Anyway, I have to be really careful of that.

Thanks again for all the help.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Well done clap.gif Cute kid!! :D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    As predicted, this lense is a blessing and a curse. Tack sharp, but really narrow depth of field.
    So, just close down the lens a bit to get more depth of field. Of course, that requires that you have more light if you want to maintain the ISO :D
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    That first shot is so touching. thumb.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Looks like you got the white balance part!

Other than nitpicks already mentioned, I'd just say the cropped legs and fingers bother me a little and I'm wondering if you could have backed up some and cropped after if necessary.

#2 is my favorite and the shadows could be easy to fix.

thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Looks like you got the white balance part!

Other than nitpicks already mentioned, I'd just say the cropped legs and fingers bother me a little and I'm wondering if you could have backed up some and cropped after if necessary.

#2 is my favorite and the shadows could be easy to fix.

thumb.gif

Good feedback. thanks.