Options

outdoor FAMILY portraits

bellaphotobellaphoto Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited April 24, 2008 in Technique
HELP, i have a Family Photo shoot coming up in June of about 10 people and a group photo of about 20, i have been practicing with friends but i can't see to get the lighting down. i try to follow the advise about early morning or late afternoon, early evening. i love in florida and have done a family shoot yeatserday at around 7:30, i get shadows and darkness, the sun was beautiful but i can't see to get nice shots! i am new to all this, any suggestions, tutorials, i use a nikon D40, i tried different settings and iso speeds, i maybe got 4 good shots out of 80!!!
and i have a problem with filling the frame, it always seems they are too far away, or to close and cut off even though it does nt seem that way in the viewfinder.!!!!!!!
:cry
what am i doing wrong. any easy tutorials i can read......
romina
Romina Ludovico

Comments

• Options
    PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    I think, without more information, the possible solutions are endless. ne_nau.gif If you can post a couple of your test pics, I'm sure you'll get a lot of great suggestions from the folks around here.
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Equipment list in my profile
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2008
    lighting
    here is one, i will try to post more tonight, this is a sample but i already edited it. thanks
    hoep i downloaded it correctly, never posted a pic before

4782662_X2CEN#283917227_xHJza-A-LB

PhilCollum wrote:
    I think, without more information, the possible solutions are endless. ne_nau.gif If you can post a couple of your test pics, I'm sure you'll get a lot of great suggestions from the folks around here.
    Romina Ludovico
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 23, 2008
    Romina, check your gallery settings to see if you have external links turned off - I am not seeing the image, but the coding is correct, and I should see it if your external links are turned on.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    bellaphoto wrote:
    here is one, i will try to post more tonight, this is a sample but i already edited it. thanks
    hoep i downloaded it correctly, never posted a pic before

4782662_X2CEN#283917227_xHJza-A-LB

Romina. Two problems with your posting.

First, you used the link:
    http://romina.smugmug.com/gallery/4782662_X2CEN#283917227_xHJza-A-LB which is not an image link. That's a page link so it won't show here. Second, the gallery that has this image in it is password protected so none of us can even see that page. If you want to keep the gallery password protected, then make a copy of the image and put it in another gallery that you can link to.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    family portrait outdoors
    sorry, again, i am learning all this and keep forgetting about the external links, i will try again
    jfriend wrote:
    Romina. Two problems with your posting.

First, you used the link:
    http://romina.smugmug.com/gallery/4782662_X2CEN#283917227_xHJza-A-LB which is not an image link. That's a page link so it won't show here. Second, the gallery that has this image in it is password protected so none of us can even see that page. If you want to keep the gallery password protected, then make a copy of the image and put it in another gallery that you can link to.
    Romina Ludovico
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    portrait outdoor
    i tried again and it won't post the image, i turned on off the external links and password protection??
    how do i post an image
    bellaphoto wrote:
    sorry, again, i am learning all this and keep forgetting about the external links, i will try again
    Romina Ludovico
  • Options
    WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Is this the photo you are referring to?
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    bellaphoto wrote:
    HELP, i have a Family Photo shoot coming up in June of about 10 people and a group photo of about 20, i have been practicing with friends but i can't see to get the lighting down. i try to follow the advise about early morning or late afternoon, early evening. i love in florida and have done a family shoot yeatserday at around 7:30, i get shadows and darkness, the sun was beautiful but i can't see to get nice shots! i am new to all this, any suggestions, tutorials, i use a nikon D40, i tried different settings and iso speeds, i maybe got 4 good shots out of 80!!!
    and i have a problem with filling the frame, it always seems they are too far away, or to close and cut off even though it does nt seem that way in the viewfinder.!!!!!!!
    romina
    If you subjects have the sun to their back or side, you are going to have shadows on their faces. The more the sun is behind them, the darker the shadows. The only way to fix this and not blow out the background is to provide some light on the shadow side of the subject. You can use reflector(s) and/or fill flash to fill in the shadows. For a group of the size you are talking about, you are going to need a couple of flashes. Changing the settings and/or ISO is not going to provide the light to the shadow side of the subject. It will, at best, expose for the shadow side at the cost of blowing out the background. To the best of my knowledge, there are no easy tutorials for lighting - it comes with practice, study, and more practice. But, you have time and it's really not that hard. And, contrary to what most people may say, I find off-camera flash easier to handle/dial in than any ETT-L (that's the Canon name for it - I don't remember what Nikon calls their flash calculation system).

As for getting the frame you see to match the frame you capture - most dSLR camera viewfinders show us something less than what is actually captured. Even the top-of-the-line pro dSLRs only give the viewer something like 95% +/- of the actual image. The less expensive cameras show even less of the captured frame in the viewfinder. So, you need to test. Once you know what the difference is, you can compensate when you are shooting.

If you are shooting with glasses on, you may not be getting your eye close enough to the viewfinder to actually see all of the image presented. This takes some practice to work right (that's one of the reasons I switched to contact lenses - I'm too lazy to work that hard :D).
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    outdoor photography
    that is one of the pictures, Thank you, thats great advise and i think it will help me alot. i am going to practice practice.
    as far as the sharpness, is that from not using a tripod??? i like the picture but it doesn't seem sharp.
    anyways, thanks for all your help.
    i do wear glasses, haha. i will use my contacts next time.

romina
    If you subjects have the sun to their back or side, you are going to have shadows on their faces. The more the sun is behind them, the darker the shadows. The only way to fix this and not blow out the background is to provide some light on the shadow side of the subject. You can use reflector(s) and/or fill flash to fill in the shadows. For a group of the size you are talking about, you are going to need a couple of flashes. Changing the settings and/or ISO is not going to provide the light to the shadow side of the subject. It will, at best, expose for the shadow side at the cost of blowing out the background. To the best of my knowledge, there are no easy tutorials for lighting - it comes with practice, study, and more practice. But, you have time and it's really not that hard. And, contrary to what most people may say, I find off-camera flash easier to handle/dial in than any ETT-L (that's the Canon name for it - I don't remember what Nikon calls their flash calculation system).

As for getting the frame you see to match the frame you capture - most dSLR camera viewfinders show us something less than what is actually captured. Even the top-of-the-line pro dSLRs only give the viewer something like 95% +/- of the actual image. The less expensive cameras show even less of the captured frame in the viewfinder. So, you need to test. Once you know what the difference is, you can compensate when you are shooting.

If you are shooting with glasses on, you may not be getting your eye close enough to the viewfinder to actually see all of the image presented. This takes some practice to work right (that's one of the reasons I switched to contact lenses - I'm too lazy to work that hard :D).
    Romina Ludovico
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    bellaphoto wrote:
    that is one of the pictures, Thank you, thats great advise and i think it will help me alot. i am going to practice practice.
    as far as the sharpness, is that from not using a tripod??? i like the picture but it doesn't seem sharp.
    anyways, thanks for all your help.
    i do wear glasses, haha. i will use my contacts next time.

romina
    What looks like a lack of focus can be caused by a number of things (or any combination thereof):
    • Camera shake - elimiated by use of tripod. Mitigated by faster shutter speed.
    • Subject movement - eliminated by subject not moving, mitigated by faster shutter speed
    • Improper focus - the camera AF focused on something other than what you wanted to be infocus.
    • Lack of Depth of Field (DOF) - Part of what you wanted in focus is, but other portions (either close to the camera or further from it) are not in focus. To increase the DOF, close down the aperture (larger f/stop number)
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    bellaphoto wrote:
    romina

Are you shooting with flash.....yes I said flash out doors .....work beautifully....especially in TTL mode since I already know you do not have a flash meter:D........so forthis to work the sun (light source) must be behind your subject....shoot with out any exposure comp....then dial up or down the flash comp.....should be on the same dial area as regular exposure comp, but marked by a lighting bolt arrow.........keep written or tape (digital) recordings of what you do for later study........I try to shoot all my portraits with flash (for fill) unless I have assistants to hold reflectors to put light into the shadows.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    My two cents: I would learn about shooting and editing RAW. It is a LOT more forgiving if the exposure is not dead on. I took shots that the other day that looked AWEFUL and was able to get them to so-so by reducing the contrast in RAW. These were taken late in the day with harsh shadows.

If you can find some shade, or use a light colored building as a giant reflector, that might be an idea.