Lens rental suggestions for Italy

GarrettGarrett Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited April 23, 2008 in Cameras
I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to register. Unfortunately, my first post is a question. And probably a topic that has been beaten to death. Well, here it goes anyway.

I currently have a D40x with the kit lens. I'm going to be in Sardinia and main land Italy for 14 days the second half of May and would like to rent a lens to try there. I originally wanted to rent the Sigma 10-20 and the Nikon 18-200 VR, but after pricing it out I think it's a little too expensive for just renting (1/3 to 1/2 the cost of buy one of them new). If you had to pick one or the other, which would it be? Or is there something else I'm not considering? Also, I'm going to be attending two days of the WRC Rally Sardinia and assumed the 18-200 would be useful for that as well as for walk around photography while doing the tourist stuff. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Garrett

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 23, 2008
    Garrett, Welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

If this is to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip, factor that into the costs.

You might also consider the brand new Sigma 18-200, F3.5-6.3 DC HSM OS (Nikon mount). Pyanez seemed to like it.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=810373

Do some research to see what you might see in addition to what you described. I doubt that the Sigma 10-20mm would be too much good at the rally race but for scenic vistas it would be great.

My ideal travel lens lineup (Canon cameras, but fairly similar can be had for Nikon):

One of the "super-wide" zooms (10-20mm-ish)
    17-55mm f/2.8
    70-200mm
    50mm f/1.4

That combination, on a crop body, will handle a vast majority of opportunities and subjects. Add a close-up adapter like the Canon 500D for the 70-200mm lens for those smaller subjects.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Dang, if you were closer, I'd let ya take my Sigma 10-20. (But I wouldn't recommend it.)

I'd go for Nikkors 70-200mm 2.8 VR! Heavy and huge, but so awesome!
  • GarrettGarrett Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Thanks for the reply Ziggy. I appreciate your input. Your ideal travel setup, and I'm sure many others, is what I'm aiming to acheive at some point. I'd like to see that Sigma 1.4 HSM (Nikon mount) released sometime soon. Anyway, I think questions like mine are asked with the answer already in clear sight (get both lenses). I guess for this trip I just have to decide which lens I would use the most.
  • GarrettGarrett Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Dang, if you were closer, I'd let ya take my Sigma 10-20. (But I wouldn't recommend it.)

I'd go for Nikkors 70-200mm 2.8 VR! Heavy and huge, but so awesome!
    Are you not happy with the Sigma? What don't you like about it?
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Blurry edges, and a weird tint, to each shot.