Nikon Sensor Cleaning

VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
edited April 30, 2008 in Cameras
So my sensors dirty. I received a dry/wet cleaning kit today but after numerous cleaning attempts, the sensor is STILL dirty. I managed to clean some of it, but yeah its still a bit dirty. Even under light i can see how its kinda dirty.

Nikons local to me, anybody know what they charge for a sensor cleaning, and how long does it take? Will they do it there while I wait?

I figure i'll let them clean it by their pros and then i'll keep up preventative maintenance with the cleaning kits. Ive never really cleaned it and only started blowing it recently, so basically ive had it 8 months with no real cleaning.

Comments

• PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Vycor, not being familiar with Nikon's policy on sensor cleaning all I can do is offer a bit of advice for you. If you have stubborn organic dust material that is not getting removed at home, I'd also recommend letting the service center take charge.
    I'm fortunate that I live within a few miles of my local Canon facility in Irvine where they've given me the dubious nickname "Norm" (as in Norm from Cheers) since I'm seemingly always there. Of course, they dont charge for the services and they usually have a quick turnaround (within a few hours).

Also, just a thought, but what cleaning system did you get by chance? Sometimes some sensor brushes can be a bit cumbersome to use...
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    I too need my sensor on the D200 cleaned, but I think I might take it to the local photography store. They do good work and I trust them, so we'll see how much they charge me to do it.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Check this out.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited April 24, 2008
    $50 to have the sensor cleaned.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    If you're going to shoot a DSLR you will get dust on your sensor. Usually a shoot or two from the rocket blower will do the trick. If that doesn't do the job then a swipe with a dry sensor brush is next. If taht doesn't do the job then a wet swab is next.

I've cleaned the sensors on my cameras numerous times w/o a problem. If you have dust that you can't get off throught he above methods then a trip to the shop is in order. However, if you send your camera in every time you get a dust bunny you be w/o a camera for a good bit of time and can get expensive.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited April 24, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    If you're going to shoot a DSLR you will get dust on your sensor. Usually a shoot or two from the rocket blower will do the trick. If that doesn't do the job then a swipe with a dry sensor brush is next. If taht doesn't do the job then a wet swab is next.

I've cleaned the sensors on my cameras numerous times w/o a problem. If you have dust that you can't get off throught he above methods then a trip to the shop is in order. However, if you send your camera in every time you get a dust bunny you be w/o a camera for a good bit of time and can get expensive.

I'm afraid there might be a smudge on the D200 sensor.
    I really need to take a peak when I'm home from work, but I just haven't had time yet.

I don't want to mess w/ liquids.
  • KennySKennyS Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    I believe it was $28 at Nikon in Melville last time I went. With a 24 hr turn around. Go in the building, make a right and down the stairs to service.