Autofocus Setting for Baseball/Softball?

ccimagesccimages Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited April 30, 2008 in Sports
I've just started - this school year - shooting sports at the high school where I live. I've already shot a full season of football and home games for basketball. I've been shooting baseball/softball this spring and I think I'm getting the hang of what setting to use, but wanted to check with some others out there. Currently I am using either my Canon 30D or my 40D. I started using AI Servo (which I used for football) but have switched to AI Focus. In conjunction with this setting, I am setting the focus points to "all" and, when batters are at the plate, it will invariably lock on the batter. The AI Focus follows the batter when he/she strides and (hopefully) hits the ball. I switch to AI servo when the home team is in the field because I'd never get a shot focused when using the settings I use for the batter's box.

All that said, what settings would you recommend for batter's box shots? fielding shots?

Since this is my first post, I'm including what I consider to be my best shot from this spring. I finally got the timing down and got several "off the bat" shots during the last softball game. This particular shot was a HR. Thanks for looking and any advice you can throw my way.

(Shot info: Av mode, ISO200, f/4, 1/3200 sec, Canon 30D + 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens)

283920775_yGgo4-L.jpg

Comments

• vetkrazyvetkrazy Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Unfortunatly your photo did not show up.

As for settings everyone finds what works best for them. That being said, you are shooting action sports and you really need to use AI Servo. My settings are as follows: AI Servo, AV & AWB ( I shot in the desert and it is always bright sun ), CF 4-3 and Center Point Focus. I keep the lens wide open and the ISO high enough to freeze the action.
    Fast Cars : Fast Glass : and an understanding wife

www.vetkrazy.exposuremanager.com
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    When I shoot baseball, I turn off the focus on the shutter release and just use back button focus. I also set up to just focus with a center point. This allows me to focus where the action is going to be and then shoot without worrying about locking onto something else. I have tried the all focus points as you are using. It works fairly well as long as nobody gets between you and the action.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • vetkrazyvetkrazy Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Not bad, but it might be more dramtic to crop it landscape from the waist up. That would eliminate the messy background and pull your focus to her face and the action.
    Fast Cars : Fast Glass : and an understanding wife

www.vetkrazy.exposuremanager.com
  • sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    i hope you don't mind, we just cropped it

285223862_BNKBt-XL.jpg
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Hey look! a shot that definately works better with a horizontal orientation.

285283481_5iJXg-L.jpg
  • ccimagesccimages Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 30, 2008
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

@vetkrazy & donek . . . thanks for the info about the back (*) button. I used that during the Cal Ripken league game I shot the other day and it worked great. Took a little time to get the hang of it, but well worth the effort. Makes it much easier to swap from a static subject (batter) to a player fielding a ball that the batter just hit. thumb.gif

@sportshooter06 & beetle8 . . . your crops are almost exactly the one that I submitted our local paper. Our sports editor looks at my shots from the games that we both make it to and will usually ask me to send him one or two of mine to choose from.

@beetle8 . . . It's kinda hard to sell a "sports crop" to parents who generally only work in increments of 4x6 (mostly), 5x7 and 8x10 (very rarely). They get a little confused when it doesn't look like it will fit in a standard frame or an album slot. :D That's why I only upload the full frame.

Thanks again everyone!