Options

move photos - slow and times out

rahdeckrahdeck Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited June 26, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi,

when using move photos feature in a relatively large gallery (ca 2000 photos) I find it very unreliable and timing out. Every single time I do that the browser times out and not all pictures are moved to a destination gallery so I have to go back and click same photos again to get them moved. It kind of behaves normally when the gallery is scaled down to less than 1k photos. Can this be remedied somehow?

Also clicking on every single photo I want to move is cumbersome when dealing with large numbers of photos. Why not add a "select all in a row" button next to the row that would select all six photos in a given row?

Hope this makes sense and wouldn't require too much effort to implement

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    rahdeck wrote:
    Hi,

when using move photos feature in a relatively large gallery (ca 2000 photos) I find it very unreliable and timing out. Every single time I do that the browser times out and not all pictures are moved to a destination gallery so I have to go back and click same photos again to get them moved. It kind of behaves normally when the gallery is scaled down to less than 1k photos. Can this be remedied somehow?

Also clicking on every single photo I want to move is cumbersome when dealing with large numbers of photos. Why not add a "select all in a row" button next to the row that would select all six photos in a given row?

Thanks!
    Thanks and sorry for the hassle :(
    We'll see what we can do to improve this tool.
  • Options
    battsbatts Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    rahdeck wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks!

I've have what sounds like the same problem, and posted about it a while back. http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=88309

I found if I move many photos, I just need to let it time out, and come back later, some time after I think it has moved all the photos. I've tried to move as little as 30 photos at a time, no luck. Sometimes I'm able to move 50 photos without any problems, but more it is a lot more common for me to see the browser time, even at times moving as little as 15-20 photos from a large gallery.

Seems notes were taken about this problem, and hopefully put on the to do list. At least I hope it gets looked at by the amount of times I have this problem.

I'd also agree with you, it would be nice option to select one row with some sort of button.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2008
    I've managed to do away with clicking with a little bit of Javascript, might write a simple Greasmonkey script to display a button next to each row that allows to select all 6 photos in it.
    Not sure how difficult it will be to fix the time out issue as this is purely on Smugmug's side

Anyway, thanks for prompt responses to this thread!
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 26, 2008
    I'm working furiously on the tools right now and hope to have significant improvements soon. This is on our list.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    I'm working furiously on the tools right now and hope to have significant improvements soon. This is on our list.
    I (with invaluable help of my smart and beautiful wife ;-)) just created my first Greasemonkey script that allows to select whole rows in move photo tool (i.e. when smugmug URL ends with tool=splitbulk). Here's the link to the script: http://userscripts.org/scripts/review/25774

I am aware that it sucks so far and was only tested on Firefox under Linux but should get the job done for people in dire need, that is with big galleries that need to move loads photos around.

The procedure to install it is as follows:

1. Install Greasemonkey extension to Firefox, if you don't already have it https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
    2. Restart Firefox
    3. Go to http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/25774.user.js and click Install in Firefox pop-up
    4. You should now see "Select All in a Row" button next to each row of photos in move photos tool

Hope it helps,
    Rado
  • Options
    dirtbikejunkiedirtbikejunkie Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

glad to hear... I've noticed this issue for quite a while and run into quite often. today I reached the "damn it" point and was going to post but see it's already known issue.

thanks,
    trav
  • Options
    danmalksdanmalks Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2008
    moving photos from one gallery to another
    Hi,
    Just wanted to clarify that this thread is about the limited UI for moving a group of photos from one gallery to another.

I too find the current tooling extremely lacking in this area, since one has to select the target gallery for *each* photo individually, instead of being able to select a group of photos and a single gallery to which they should be moved.

Any update on approximately when this feature can be expected? (or if what I've described is part of your plan to improve tooling in this area).
    Thanks,
    -dm