Options

What does "Golden Hour" refer to?

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited April 25, 2008 in Technique
I was reading and looking through Joshhuntnm's thread about shooting in "golden hour." And was wondering what does that actually mean?
Food & Culture.
www.tednghiem.com

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    I was reading and looking through Joshhuntnm's thread about shooting in "golden hour." And was wondering what does that actually mean?
    Photographing early in the morning or late in the afternoon to reduce shadows & give a rich colour.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Generally, dawn provides warm light, but there's a bit more blue in it. This is due to less dust in the air from the previous evening. (lack of traffic, construction etc.)

Dusk usually provides a bit more warm light since all the pollutants and environmental variables that reflect light are in the air from the human race making a general ruckus of things.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Many car ads are photographed in the Golden Hour, because the twilight produces long, sleek highlights along the car's body and bring out its form.
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008

I just happen to be reading on vacation, Jeff Wignall's book: EXPOSURE.

During this time, the light is soft, yellow and intensely pretty. The light is also gentler during these times which means shadows are less black and highlights are less frequently burned out making contrast more manageable. Besides shooting with a tripod, it is shooting during these times that can make a noticeable improvement in one's images.

Troy
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    So early in the morning or late in the afternoon (6-7 pm EST) is the best time to shoot? Because of softness and prettyness of colors.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    So early in the morning or late in the afternoon (6-7 pm EST) is the best time to shoot? Because of softness and prettyness of colors.

the 1st hour or two after "sunrise" and the last hour or so before "sunset".

Im currently in Virginia, and right before sunset the buildings on the property take on an added depth to their personality in the golden light. You just need to be on guard for "glare" on bright surfaces that can still fool "unsuspected" metering systems.... ;)

Troy
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited April 25, 2008

In addition to the excellent comments by others do watch WB during this period as the WB shifts to the red, but you may not want to compensate completely if your wish is to capture the rich yellows and reds. Shooting RAW let's you defer the color balance decisions until later, as usual.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    around 6 PM
    241532961_2GPyT-XL.jpg

a bit after sunrise
    241533458_NT88D-XL.jpg
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    around 6 PM
    241532961_2GPyT-XL.jpg

a bit after sunrise
    241533458_NT88D-XL.jpg

yeah, my golden hour didn't look quite that good! those are great!