My Photo in the Smithsonian Magazine Photo Contest

shutteractionsshutteractions Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited July 2, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi Everyone,
Please continue to vote. My picture is now 2nd to picture #13 (the TP's)

I wanted to see if you could take a moment and go to the Smithsonian Magazine 5th annual photo contest and vote for the picture I have in the contest. It is #11
It's a picture I took last year of our local Little League in the playoffs. Our team won by 1 run and this is the picture of the player crossing home plate. This was shot with a Nikon D50, thru the chain link fence.
Here is a link to vote
http://photocontest.smithsonianmag.com/v5/finalists/PCA/
or
www.smithsonianmag.com

You can vote every 24 hours from all the computers/accounts you have.
I would appriciate it.
Thank you,
Rhonda Weiderhaft

Comments

• JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Very cool. Looks like there is a lot of stiff competition...best of luck to you!
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • LUCKYSHOTLUCKYSHOT Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    nice shot, you got my vote.
    Best of luck
    Chris
    www.longislandimage.com
    No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
    :whip

WWW.LONGISLANDIMAGE.COM
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    ivoted.gif

Best of luck!
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • mosallmosall Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    That is a great shot.
  • WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
  • shutteractionsshutteractions Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    My Photo in the Smithsonian Magazine Photo Contest
    Hi Everyone,
    Please continue to vote. My picture is now 2nd to picture #13 (the TP's)

This is for the Smithsonian Magazine 5th annual photo contest. Please take a monent and vote for my picture #11. I am currently in 2nd place.ne_nau.gif
    It's a picture I took last year of our local Little League in the playoffs. Our team won by 1 run and this is the picture of the player crossing home plate. This was shot with a Nikon D50, thru the chain link fence.
    Here is a link to vote
    http://photocontest.smithsonianmag.c...finalists/PCA/
    or
    www.smithsonianmag.com

You can vote every 24 hours from all the computers/accounts you have.
    I would appriciate it.
    Thank you,bowdown.gif
    Rhonda Weiderhaft
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    There are some really amamazing shots in that contest! congrats for making it to the top 50... how many entries were there total? how often do they run the contest? does it cost anything to enter? what is the prize for the public choice awards?

Good Luck!
    Winston
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    contests should never have people vote.......
    they should be judged by judges...not "the people"
    but i went ahead and voted in this lobbist syle contest...
    ....i voted for my favorite one, sorry it wasnt yours....
    Aaron Nelson
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 24, 2008
    Rhonda, good luck in the contest - however, please, no duplicate posting. I've merged your two threads.

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• cmurphcmurph Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    There are some really amamazing shots in that contest! congrats for making it to the top 50... how many entries were there total? how often do they run the contest? does it cost anything to enter? what is the prize for the public choice awards?

Good Luck!
    Winston

Smithsonian magazine 5th Annual Photo Contest
    Official Rules

Who may enter:
    Amateur photographers ages 18 and over—except for individuals affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution, including employees, regents, trustees, interns, volunteers, fellows, research associates and their immediate families (children, siblings and spouses) and others living in their households—are eligible. Professional photographers who earn more than half of their income taking pictures are not eligible. Smithsonian magazine will determine winners' eligibility.
    What to enter:
    The five contest categories are drawn from those subjects of special interest to Smithsonian:
    Americana—Events, objects or activities connecting the American people to their history or their cultural heritage.
    The Natural World—Animals, plants and landscapes; geological or climatological features; and scientific processes and endeavors.
    People—Individuals from all walks of life.
    Altered Images—Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects (i.e. hand coloring, toning, bleaching, collage and photo composites, etc.).
    Travel—Locales, peoples or activities in the United States and abroad that convey a sense of place.
    Photographs must have been shot by the entrant within the past three years (since January 1, 2005).
    Cropped photos are eligible in all categories. We do not accept digitally or otherwise enhanced or altered photos, except for those entered in the Altered Images category. Minor adjustments, including spotting, dodging and burning, contrast and slight color adjustment or the digital equivalents, are acceptable for all five categories. If our judges see that a photographer has obviously altered his or her photo, they reserve the right to move the photo to Altered Images or to disqualify it.
    An entrant must hold all rights to a photograph. For a photo in which a person is recognizable, you must secure a model release from the subject or, in the case of a minor, the subject's parent or guardian and provide it to Smithsonian upon request. A sample release is available at photocontest.smithsonianmag.com/modelrelease.doc.
    Photographs previously published or pending publication, or photos that violate or infringe upon another person's copyright, are not eligible.
    How to enter:
    Please submit photographs online through our Web site at photocontest.smithsonianmag.com. We do not accept photographs submitted through the mail. Submit no more than one photograph per category. We do not accept more than one contestant per email address.
    High-quality scans of non-digital photographs are acceptable. Digital photographs should be taken at the highest resolution possible. Use the online entry form on our Web site. Complete a separate form for each photo submitted. Photographs must be in a .jpeg, .jpg or .gif format. Files submitted may not be larger than 1,024k (1Mb). The 50 finalists may be asked to submit a high-resolution file or an original negative, print or slide. Original photographs will be returned to finalists.
    Smithsonian judges reserve the right to disqualify contestants who are unable to submit, upon request, a high-resolution photograph of at least 300 dpi at 5 x 7 inches or an original photo negative, print or slide.
    By entering the contest, entrants grant Smithsonian Institution the right to publish and use submitted photographs in print or electronic form in a future issue or issues, for advertising and promotion of the magazine, for exhibition, and for commercial products, including but not limited to Smithsonian publications. Photographs may appear on the Smithsonian Journeys Web site as well as in Journeys publications. Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit.
    Entry deadline:
    All digital entries must be received at Smithsonian's Web site by 2pm Eastern Time, Thursday, January 3, 2008.
    Judging:
    Judging will be conducted by the editors of Smithsonian. Winning photographs and selected finalists will be published in a summer 2008 issue of Smithsonian. Decisions of the judges will be final.
    Five category winners will be selected, one for each category. The grand prize winner will be chosen from 50 finalists.
    Please do not contact us about the status of entries.
    The 50 finalists will be notified of their status by March 31, 2008, and will appear on our Web site on April 1, 2008. At that time, the public can vote on our Web site for one readers' choice winner, which will be revealed online in summer 2008.
    The contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law. Smithsonian magazine reserves the right to cancel the contest or modify these rules at its discretion. Decisions of Smithsonian magazine will be final.
    Prizes:
    Grand Prize:
    A four-day, three-night Smithsonian Journeys Grand Canyon Weekend Adventure trip for two from July 11-14, 2008, or the cash equivalent.
    Category Winners:
    The winners of each of the five categories will receive $500.
    Readers' Choice:
    The winner of the online readers' choice award will receive $500.
    Winners may receive additional non-cash prizes.
    Winners must sign an affidavit and license and will be responsible for paying any taxes they may owe on a prize.
    :wow
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    I voted for you. I think yours is superb!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    Hey Rhonda, congrats on the win!!!

I was just flipping through this months issue and saw your pic and started thinking to myself, I've seen this before. headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.