Options

Medevac Flight

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
edited July 5, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
After taking care of some business Wednesday morning, I grabbed some lunch and headed over to a local park/beach. After a while, heard sirens, and saw a Nassau County (NY) Police helicopter circling overhead. Since I'm into aviation photography, and don't have any shots of the local police helicopters, I was going to grab a quick shot of it, when I realized they were getting ready to land in the adjacent Long Island Rail Road station parking lot, so I headed on over. Turned out to be Nassau's newest Bell 407 landing for a Medevac pickup.

Preparing for the pick up.
284054266_TzoFr-L-1.jpg

Loading the patient.
284055218_sK9PT-L-1.jpg

Ready for takeoff.
284055414_yV4Wo-L-1.jpg

A dusty departure.
284055629_AWxdD-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    moose135 wrote:
    After taking care of some business Wednesday morning, I grabbed some lunch and headed over to a local park/beach. After a while, heard sirens, and saw a Nassau County (NY) Police helicopter circling overhead. Since I'm into aviation photography, and don't have any shots of the local police helicopters, I was going to grab a quick shot of it, when I realized they were getting ready to land in the adjacent Long Island Rail Road station parking lot, so I headed on over. Turned out to be Nassau's newest Bell 407 landing for a Medevac pickup.

Preparing for the pick up.
    Loading the patient.
    Ready for takeoff.
    A dusty departure.

There's a Helicopter landing pad behind one of the two large Hospitals across the road from where I work.

It is not unusual to see the Police and Rescue Choppers come in and out of there...... you hear them a long time before you see them.

Nice to know help can get to you very quickly these days.

Hope the person they are transporting is okay Moose.
    Thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Cool shots. That last one is really nice. Ground crew & air crew operations in
    one take. thumb.gif

Hope that person needing the ride is ok.
    Michael
  • Options
    LUCKYSHOTLUCKYSHOT Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Nice shots, very clear, You should have uploaded them to Newsday. they have printed a few of my pics and I even had the cover, plus they pay!!
    all the best
    Chris
    No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
    :whip

WWW.LONGISLANDIMAGE.COM
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2008
    LUCKYSHOT wrote:
    Nice shots, very clear, You should have uploaded them to Newsday. they have printed a few of my pics and I even had the cover, plus they pay!!
    all the best
    Chris
    Thanks, Chris. Actually I did pass them along to Newsday (until recently, I worked in the Adv dept there). Never heard anything from them.
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    The last shot it awesome.thumb.gif I've always wanted to get a picture of a medevac helio at work, always thought a shot of people saving lives would be cool to have. I go to St.Louis College of Pharmacy which is right in the middle of the cities big medical complex so these are going in and out all the time, but there always to high to get any good shots with my point and shoot I have with me at school.
    The tools: Contax RTS II (The 35mm Vet)
    Poloroid t737 (The digi PaS)
  • Options
    VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Hey moose, what town is that in? Im one of the freelancers for newsday (Adam Daley) and i shoot a lot of medevac landings. That looks like its at the LIRR station, i can do a lil searching to see what the details were as I volunteer for a company that pages out fire/ems jobs to various papers (such as newsday lol)
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2008
    Thanks Adam - it was the Oyster Bay train station. I shot them Wednesday, 4/23, around 2pm. Looked like they transported the patient from the Bayville area (down Shore Road).

I was poking around your web sites the other day after seeing another post of yours. You have some really nice work there!
  • Options
    VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Heres what I found:

Motorcycle MVA

Ludlam Avenue south of the Bayville Bridge (In Mill Neck)

NCPD 2nd Pct & Old Brookville PD on scene with a motorcyclist down. Aided with serious injuries. Aviation is requested.

Bayville Fire Department Activated.
    Helicopter 5 is responding.

Landing Zone is Roosevelt Park in the Rail Road lot adjacent to the park. (In Oyster Bay)

Oyster Bay Fire Department notified.

2nd Ambulance being requested for an additional aided at the scene.
    Helicopter 5 transporting a 24 year old female to NUMC with (+) PMS 'Pulse Motor Sensory' and broken left arm. Trauma Team Requested.

Taken from http://www.nassaufdrant.com/forum which is where we talk about ongoing incidents on long island.

So there ya go, now you know what the bird landed for.

Thanks for the comments on my site. Im trying to shoot more helos now adays, because I have time to setup and get good shots of them in action.
    <!-- / message --><!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end -->
  • Options
    navigator72navigator72 Banned Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    3rd
    The last photo os sweeeeet.
    I'm sure the medivac team would love to have that shot