Options

Local Showers

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
edited April 28, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
284797136_qesji-XL.jpg

This is a work in progress (and it's driving me nuts). C&C would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    I don't really like it.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    The local contrast in the area of the man and the rain makes it seem like you just did soem weird blur on him.

Interesting concept. thumb.gif

Needs work. Since this is a surreal situation you are setting up you need more defined rain, IMO. Like in a cartoon (which this is, in a sense. Steel image of just rain at a larger scale to overlay with him under his umbrella??

Keep at it. I know you will get it!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    rolleyes1.gifLike where your going with this. I feel like that some days. :D
    Glad its so very rare in occurrence.

I think if you can get just him to match the "clarity" of everything else
    you'll be just that much further along in one particular rendition on theme.
    Then you might just have to rethink that background and give it a mood
    of somekind in yet another take on it. Pretty difficult project in this one.
    You have your work cut out for you, but I'm sure you will find a way.
    thumb.gif:D Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifLike where your going with this. I feel like that some days. :DMichael

Right, me too.

I can't seem to get the rain right in all sizes. If it is close to natural looking at full resolution, it becomes close to invisible when downsized. As it is, it has lost definition somewhat in the Smugmug downsizing, which is something I have not noticed very often before. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2008
    Post us a larger version or a link to one, sowe can see!

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2008
    Well... Richard. I don't have a solution, but I certainly admire the problem. :D

Geee.... :D

Your rain looks relatively like TV static at resolution I see.
    Overrides your guy "washing him out". But then you know this.
    So maybe there is too much of it and size of it perhaps is way too small
    to go the distance / convey point in resolution cross platform.
    Couldn't say bottom line really. For some reason quality of point and not quantity come to mind.
    Like if you were a cartoonist how would you move this point forward
    artfully. Less is more?

Thats my two cents. I'm cheap and no help. I can live with that. :D
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    For some reason quality of point and not quantity come to mind.

Yeah, I think you're exactly right, Michael. Too many drops and they are too small. I'm not too sure how to solve this, but I'll keep trying. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Yeah, I think you're exactly right, Michael. Too many drops and they are too small. I'm not too sure how to solve this, but I'll keep trying. Thanks.

Photograph water from fountains and examine that?
    Michael
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Richard wrote:

This is a work in progress (and it's driving me nuts). C&C would be appreciated.

Hi Richard, I hope you can figure out how to get that rain to be where you want it.

It's kind of like raining on one's parade.... the man looks rather unimpressed.

Wasn't there a cartoon character that was constantly walking with a rain cloud above their head headscratch.gif .... good luck thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    I like the idea. clap.gif

Reverse the angle of the rain or make it fall straight down: The way it looks now, he either has his own personal wind blowing at him from behind or he's walking in reverse. Reduce the amount of rain by fifty or sixty percent. Create larger drops overall, and even larger ones falling from the ribs of the umbrella, where rain tends to gather. Lighten the remaining rain to give it more punch.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. I found a good solution for the rain (I think). So here's a revised version:

285697022_AmRJG-XL.jpg

I finally realized that I need to work with a different umbrella shot to realize the concept. I want the rain to appear to come from within the umbrella itself. If the umbrella were angled so that you also see the rear edge some (and rain on top of it), it would work better. So I think I'm going to call it a day on this one and hope I can catch a suitable shot next time it rains here.

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Richard, tis last is much improved, even so. The larger drops seem les like PP bluring and straight down does make it seem less like he's 'Moon Walking'. Hadn't quite moticed that 'til eL eSs Vee mentioned it.

Keep at it!

Don
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Very nice edit, Richard. Exactly what I was thinking. thumb.gif

When you try again, you might want to have a trail of wet ground behind him, rather than beside him. Adding reflections of the shrubbery behind him in it will make it realistic. Good idea for the angle of view on the umbrella. I hadn't thought of that.

I look forward to your next attempt.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Thanks Don and Lee. Your suggestions helped a lot. thumb.gif

Regards,
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    You're welcome.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Your welcome and thanks for the recip elsewhere. thumb.gif

Don
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Tons better Richard. It really works quite well. Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    I think your 2nd version turned out pretty well! I really like his expression...looks like this is something that happens to him everyday!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2008
    Thanks Michael and Susan. Glad you like it.