My first studio shots - and my first post

SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
edited April 27, 2008 in People
Hi everyone!

I've been on Smugmug for ages, but I don't know how I missed this forum. It looks great!

For my first post, I thought I'd share my gallery of the photography course I've just started - and these are from the first night. I think some of them turned out well for a first attempt! smile.gif

http://Sventekoz.smugmug.com/gallery/4767814_jqzrv/1/282795321_p5b9Z

Please feel free to comment. I don't mind harsh criticism - I know I have a lot to learn!

Here are the shots I think are the 'best':

#1 This is a crop of one of the other images.
282795321_p5b9Z-L-7.jpg

284648909_mp8Mi-L-6.jpg

284650345_7seYq-L-6.jpg

284649764_RMqfe-L-7.jpg

284657673_d9D8Z-L-7.jpg

284666139_ZMG6t-L-6.jpg

284663458_d9pPq-L-6.jpg

284671975_3iXyr-L-7.jpg

284673147_MhrFE-L-7.jpg

284678924_fAVaV-L-6.jpg

284681234_Q4yb7-L-7.jpg

284682003_qM4jv-L-7.jpg

284682871_xstfM-L-6.jpg
John

Comments

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Very nice indeed. You should be proud. And, welcome to DGrin. You will love it here.

Just a note, it is a little easier on us if you put the pics right in the thread. some of us are too lazy to click over! Also, if you you want comments, you might pick out a few of your bet shots and post them, numbering them.
  • SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Very nice indeed. You should be proud. And, welcome to DGrin. You will love it here.

Just a note, it is a little easier on us if you put the pics right in the thread. some of us are too lazy to click over! Also, if you you want comments, you might pick out a few of your bet shots and post them, numbering them.

OK - thanks for that. I'll modify the post as soon as I can.
    John
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Very good use of shadows, good posing good framing/cropping. Excellent light application. thumb.gif

I would howver look into the details next such as hair (lost strands and such), #5 has some skin sheen, shines too much there, you can also use more of a 45 degree angle as you do on #2 and apply to #9 and #10 (#8 is a good example compared to #9). Also your vantage plane/view is same throughout, except for #13 when you decided to shoot low to the ground. Trying shooting above and under the subject more, gives you more different looks of images. Lastly, I know this is the toughest part clean up them floors/bg (or pull a new reel of paper, if thats what you use), dirt marks are not very appealing mwink.gif.

Anyways good shoot, my favorites are #3 and #8. Thanks for sharing!
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    I like the variety of expressiveness, especially of the second model. There is a tendency (or, should I say, I have had a tendency) to point the camera and say, "smile." Smiles are nice, but getting the model into other moods creates variety. You did that well.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Welcome to the forum! Those are excellent results for your first night in class. Looks like you may learn a lot. Your 2nd model is great due to the nice variety of expressions. Did you 'direct' her, or did she just go through her own routine? Enjoy your class and be sure to post more. thumb.gif
    edited April 25, 2008
    mr peas wrote:
    Very good use of shadows, good posing good framing/cropping. Excellent light application. thumb.gif

I would howver look into the details next such as hair (lost strands and such), #5 has some skin sheen, shines too much there, you can also use more of a 45 degree angle as you do on #2 and apply to #9 and #10 (#8 is a good example compared to #9). Also your vantage plane/view is same throughout, except for #13 when you decided to shoot low to the ground. Trying shooting above and under the subject more, gives you more different looks of images. Lastly, I know this is the toughest part clean up them floors/bg (or pull a new reel of paper, if thats what you use), dirt marks are not very appealing mwink.gif.

Anyways good shoot, my favorites are #3 and #8. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the tips! :)

I'm afraid I didn't have any choice about the dirty floor. That was out of our hands. I won't have to worry about it next time - it's a location shoot, hopefully with my motorbike!
    John
    edited April 25, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Welcome to the forum! Those are excellent results for your first night in class. Looks like you may learn a lot. Your 2nd model is great due to the nice variety of expressions. Did you 'direct' her, or did she just go through her own routine? Enjoy your class and be sure to post more. thumb.gif

Thanks. :)

Pretty well any expression other than deadpan was at my encouragement. The second model was much easier to work with, and she responded much better to my jokes etc. Most importantly, I don't think she minded too much how she was portrayed. They are both fashion models, and I think the first one is still young enough in the business to be too concerned about looking deep and mysterious.

Having said that - they were both great. I think I was very lucky to have access to two models who could do most of it without direction.
    John
    edited April 25, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I like the variety of expressiveness, especially of the second model. There is a tendency (or, should I say, I have had a tendency) to point the camera and say, "smile." Smiles are nice, but getting the model into other moods creates variety. You did that well.

Thanks Josh :)
    John
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Welcome to dgrin and this is a nice serries of shots.
    I like 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 & 12.
    #10 I would crop some off the bottom about the hands.
    #12 I would crop some off the bottom to take the rest of the foot out of the shot.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    http://aperturefocus.smugmug.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
    edited April 27, 2008
    Welcome to dgrin and this is a nice serries of shots.
    I like 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 & 12.
    #10 I would crop some off the bottom about the hands.
    #12 I would crop some off the bottom to take the rest of the foot out of the shot.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    http://aperturefocus.smugmug.com

Yep - I think you're right, especially with #12.
    John