Abandoned, Forgotten, Gone...

Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited April 27, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
This house is just down the street from me.
284645014_2SrPL-L.jpg

I went there to snoop around once.
264373169_qFTDp-L.jpg

No one has lived there since 2003 except a couple of kitties.
284645335_368dL-M.jpg

There was a lot of other forgotten stuff in this house.
284644400_sLtF4-M.jpg

Not much of a view and with that I left.
284642039_FLTwb-L.jpg

However, I did return for a little more fun.
284632051_vMCJP-L.jpg

This is my step-sister-in-law.
284646284_d5SQ4-L.jpg

And now the house is gone. ( I know this photo isn't that great. It was 4am and I was still sleeping, I took the wrong lens with me.)
284631910_sYsVf-L.jpg

284836141_GFJqQ-L.jpg

284640205_7EL9J-L.jpg

284632456_5MdPj-L.jpg

284640660_UtwuC-L.jpg

284634090_6Ye27-L.jpg

284638998_xvmAs-L.jpg

I was reminded who to call in case of an emergancy a few times while roaming through the remains.

284636917_Mhebh-L.jpg

This was the house that is down the street from me.

284638909_tzxSF-L.jpg

:cry :cry :cry
"Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 25, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gif. Great series.

Cheers,
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gif. Great series.

Cheers,
    15524779-Ti.gif You gathered many very nice images. Twin cats, books on table,
    sister in law, et.... The statement of the 911 images! The first one with
    the pots is outstanding +++, IMHO. Priceless. That one alone should buy
    all your gear and then some.

Then your story with it all.... Thats food for thought and cause to pause.
    Thinking of it, I don't know whether to go somber or what from the visual
    cues. :(: Now to go shake that off somewhere. :D Michael
    Michael
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Nice Series. I would love to have access to such a place. The last time I did was some 40+ years ago. Still have a souvenir or two!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Very nice series. I really liked the first part (but I like people photos :D). The other looks very well done.

Really looking forward to our mini-shootout :D
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Karrie McD wrote:
    This house is just down the street from me.
    I went there to snoop around once.
    No one has lived there since 2003 except a couple of kitties.
    There was a lot of other forgotten stuff in this house.
    Not much of a view and with that I left.
    This is my step-sister-in-law.
    And now the house is gone. ( I know this photo isn't that great. It was 4am and I was still sleeping, I took the wrong lens with me.)
    I was reminded who to call in case of an emergancy a few times while roaming through the remains.
    This was the house that is down the street from me.
    :cry :cry :cry

Great Series Karrie, was the house fire deliberate, or a result of how poorly it was kept??

The shots you took inside the house are my favourites,
    the books on the side table, and the burnt Phone book with 911 showing.

You now own a piece of history from that house,
    why was it abandoned? do you know at all?

Nicely capture Karrie ... Well Done! clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Really great set Karrie!!!! They certainly tell a story. Love the indoor shots of the books, cats and the windows! thumb.gif
  • VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    As a fire photographer specializing in fire/ems photography, i love that 911 page photo. Thats really great.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Fantastic series, Karrie! I hope those kitties survived the fire. I have friends who would LOVE to have them! I agree with the kudos you've received on the 911 photos! They're great! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Outstanding series and story! I hope you can do something with this....photo book, magazine spread, etc.? Thanks for sharing.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Wow
    Thank you all so very much. I have gotten inspiration, from your replies, for looking into how to get some of these photos "out there". I am not sure how to do that yet.

To answer some questions about the house. As far as I could tell it has been abandond since 2003. There was pill bottles all over the place and that was the last date on them. The name on the bottles and a wall hanging in the kitchen bore the name Annie. So I call it Annie's house. I know people still go there because I have found things different and, well not to get too wierd on you all but, there is different deposit areas through out the property of, pig parts. I know sick. sorry. Anyways. My neighbor has lived here his whole life and told my hubby last night that the lady that used to lived there is really old and moved in with relatives a while ago. That blew me away because my thoughts were that someone had died which left the house abandond. This lady had a lot of stuff and it was all still in the house. The house had been ramsacked and stuff was just everywhere.
    Our neighbor also said that it was arson. I am not sure how he would know that, so I can't take that as truth just yet.

One last thing. When I went there after the fire to take some photos a family pulled up to look at the house. Grandma, mom, dad, and daughter. I was a little worried about me being there to take photos so when I walked up there I asked if they knew who owned the property. They just looked at each other and then looked straight ahead and didn't say anything to me. I was like um okayyy... well I am just here to take photos and started walking up to the house. Then they spoke by asking if I was with a paper and I said no. I heard the little girl ask "haven't we been to this house before? and A little while later the grandma was asking me where I lived and she knew my neighbors and the people who used to live in my house. I can't help but wonder if she was Annie.

I do feel a little attached to the house. It has given me a lot of great photographs and excitment.

One last picture since the 911s seem to be a favorite. This one is the most ironic 911 photo because I believe that is a gas can...

284637890_fgDyr-L.jpg

Thank you all very much for sharing my interest in this whole seriers. Here is the link to it. However, I have already shown here the best photos.
    http://love-every-moment.smugmug.com/gallery/4793047_xPRyd#284637890_fgDyr
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Vycor wrote:
    As a fire photographer specializing in fire/ems photography, i love that 911 page photo. Thats really great.

Wow, what an emotional, yet exciting job you have!!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment.