Which would you pick for a challenge entry?

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited April 26, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Sup All,

We have a little challenge being held in our city at the library and was wondering if you can help me decide which picture to submit.

I am torn between the two. Also, any changes you would like to see?

Thank you.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    the second one.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    #1 - I like the expression and wider crop and light better. The light is a bit harsh, but it just seems more dramatic to me. Good luck! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • dgrinjacksondgrinjackson Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    I really like the first one...

I like the composition and the contrast in colors from left to right; dark to vivid colors. I like her expression and how the light plays on her face. I think the depth of field is more appropriate as well...I'm not sure if i would leave or photoshop out the whisps of hair coming down from under her scarf over the left face/eye...hmmm

the second looks a little flat to me and i just don't "feel" anything when looking at her or in her eyes and the focus on the top right of her hair seems soft while the rest of the image looks crisp.
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    #1 for me too - Nice shot!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    #1 for sure.

try to make the lower left corner less distracting
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 25, 2008
    Wow..I am glad I asked here. I was 75% sure that #2 was the one....Phew!

Appreciate all the comments as well..please keep them coming.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    #1 is definitely more expressive.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    #1 for me, though I like them both. The overly saturated colors are fantastic. The only thing that distracts me a bit, is the pink on top of her nose. My eyes keep going back to it. Good luck in the contest!!! thumb.gif
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    #2 for me - more enigmatic* / less 'obvious', fills the frame better (more like a 'texture' shot?) ... don't like the dead (to me) space in top left corner of #1.

(only normally shoot / interested in macro tho - so prob best not to take any notice :) )

* sorta look I get from my daughters - when am trying to figure out what they 'actually' want (to happen /do)

pp
    edited April 25, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    #1 for me, though I like them both. The overly saturated colors are fantastic. The only thing that distracts me a bit, is the pink on top of her nose. My eyes keep going back to it. Good luck in the contest!!! thumb.gif

Anyone know how to get rid of that pink? I tired de-saturation and replace color brush, but they didn't work well.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    I like number one with a tighter crop and if you could I would clone out the straggler hair from across her eye
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • CassisPCassisP Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    #1 for me.

but I love her eyes in the 2nd one. but the 1st one has a better expression.

also for both of them, # 2 especially, the bridge of her nose is pink... I dont know, it just looks odd to me. it might be a good idea to color correct that.

Cassis
  • CassisPCassisP Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    wildviper wrote:
    Anyone know how to get rid of that pink? I tired de-saturation and replace color brush, but they didn't work well.
    here I tried it out...

what I did was, (now forgive me I dont know photoshop jargon all that well, but I will try)

1st: I used the Polygonal Lasso Tool and cut around the pink... but not tightly I left some of the desired color.

2nd: I made that a Copy, so, just that cut was a layer by itself.

3rd:I think I used Color Balance (under Image adjustments) and messed around with that until I got it close enough. the edge of the layer was harsh and a little obvious against the background.

4th: I added a layer mask to the "nose layer" then I took my paintbrush, with the Opacity and Flow around 37. and smoothed around the egdes.

then I saved it.

and presto pink gone! well not all of it... but I think a little is fine....

DSC_0191_ppsmallrezcopy.jpg

original
    DSC_0191_ppsmallrezcopySfh.jpg
    edited April 26, 2008
    CassisP wrote:
    here I tried it out...

what I did was, (now forgive me I dont know photoshop jargon all that well, but I will try)

1st: I used the Polygonal Lasso Tool and cut around the pink... but not tightly I left some of the desired color.

2nd: I made that a Copy, so, just that cut was a layer by itself.

3rd:I think I used Color Balance (under Image adjustments) and messed around with that until I got it close enough. the edge of the layer was harsh and a little obvious against the background.

4th: I added a layer mask to the "nose layer" then I took my paintbrush, with the Opacity and Flow around 37. and smoothed around the egdes.

then I saved it.

and presto pink gone! well not all of it... but I think a little is fine....

Hey Thanx...I am going to try that out and submit the picture.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper