Questions for models

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited April 26, 2008 in People
Let's say you want to get some different exprssions on your models faces. Old school says you point the camera and say, "smile".

What could we say to the model if we want them to look shocked or scared or peaceful or curious or intense?

Comments

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,216 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    With experienced models, you just have to tell them to give you their '_________' look (fill in the blank with whatever expression you want). With younger or less-experienced models, you have to tell them with examples such as -- show me how you look when a monster jumps out from behind the bush and scares you.

My favorite trying-to-get-a-different-expression-from-a-new-child-model example was when I was trying to get the 7-yr old boy to show me 'scared' and he said monsters didn't scare HIM! So I told him to show me his look if some little girl wanted to be his girlfriend & THEN I got the look I wanted.

Sherry
  • PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    slpollett wrote:
    With experienced models, you just have to tell them to give you their '_________' look (fill in the blank with whatever expression you want). With younger or less-experienced models, you have to tell them with examples such as -- show me how you look when a monster jumps out from behind the bush and scares you.

My favorite trying-to-get-a-different-expression-from-a-new-child-model example was when I was trying to get the 7-yr old boy to show me 'scared' and he said monsters didn't scare HIM! So I told him to show me his look if some little girl wanted to be his girlfriend & THEN I got the look I wanted.

Sherry
    15524779-Ti.gif
    It really depends on who you're working with. Experienced models have done mirror work and know what their face and body looks like. With normal subjects, you need to talk to them in order to get the expressions you want. Like to get a natural smile out of a guy--you might ask him to think about his girl friend or something...instant natural smile.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Paulcao wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif
    It really depends on who you're working with. Experienced models have done mirror work and know what their face and body looks like. With normal subjects, you need to talk to them in order to get the expressions you want. Like to get a natural smile out of a guy--you might ask him to think about his girl friend or something...instant natural smile.

i am thinking of non-pros--senior picture shoots, say. But let's say you want some real variety in expression.
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    I just finished a shoot with 15 and 16 year old girls. I would say I'm a photographer for Abercrombie. Now show me what you would see in an ad. Then I said, show me an ad for American Eagle, Holister, Glamour, Vogue, Aeropostale, Buckle, etc.

They all look similar to me. Trust me when I say they know the difference and you will get different expressions.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Let's say you want to get some different exprssions on your models faces. Old school says you point the camera and say, "smile".

What could we say to the model if we want them to look shocked or scared or peaceful or curious or intense?

another big thing that really helps with ALL ages is to change the tone of your voice. With kids junior or senior; they mimick the look on your face so if you're wanting them to look scared for instance don't say it with a big smile on your face lol. One more tip: older kids understand when you say something like "I want to see what you're feeling with your eyes" they totally get it. thumb.gif
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Show them. Demonstrate what look u want them to emulate. Give them a situational setup. Such....imagine yer doing this...and this happens and u look at them and think...what?? It might take a couple of tries to get the look u want, but it'll happen if u are patient.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com