HS Crew, D70/70s with three lenses

DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited April 30, 2008 in Sports
My daughter has joined the high school Crew team last year. I own a D70 and 70s. For on the water shots one of the cameras is mated to a long lense. Last year and the start of this year I used Tamron 70-300 combo. I like the lense but once extended between 200 and 300 f 5.6 was to slow to really catch the action. The last few weeks I have rented a Nikor 70-200 f 2.8 VR. What a nice bit of glass. I am posting this here so folks can comment on the pictures (Mommy-Daddy shots I'm afraid, the pros have nothing to fear).

The Nikor lense was not avable for the upcoming weekend's racing but I was able to latch onto a Sigma 120-300. We will see how it compares. I think I will like the range but when the boats are close the Nikor is just increadable.

First last year on a nice day
152981031_dZLdT-L.jpg

This year with the Nikon 70-200 under cloulousy conditions from the same spot near the finish. Yes crew runs in the rain thankyou Opteck rainsleave:
278732738_Hhhrv-L.jpg

I am having trouble with the focus with the Nikor. It seems some times behind the intended subject. I have taken to using manuel focus with slightly better results but I have to plan the shot well ahead of time. The other downside is that I can take fewer shots as the boats slide by. I do not know if the autofocus issue it is me or the camera. The Tamron did not have the problem as there was a larger depth of field (f 5 something vs f 2.8~4)
This coming weekend I will be using a Sigma 120-300 f 2.8. If this lense has a sweet spot please let me know.
For this sport I think a zoom may be better in the boats are moving by you. Not unlike automotive sports - just slower most of the time.

Off topic but I did use the Nikon at a autocross last weekend:

282661973_2e6ge-L.jpg
282633692_veE98-L.jpg

Comments

• vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    The 70-200 is an awsome lens. You shouldn't be having focus issues with it.
    At the distance you are shooting even at 2.8 you should get a reasonable depth of field. What focus settings are you using? I shoot soccer with the same lens on a D80 with some great results. If the focus is off it's usually my fault not the camera or lens.
    How did you like the Sigma 120-300?
  • DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    vt1122 wrote:
    The 70-200 is an awsome lens. You shouldn't be having focus issues with it.
    At the distance you are shooting even at 2.8 you should get a reasonable depth of field. What focus settings are you using? I shoot soccer with the same lens on a D80 with some great results. If the focus is off it's usually my fault not the camera or lens.
    I think my D70 focus issues were mostly associated with operator head space. I had read on the net (either here or DPReview) of others having issues with poor focus issues on moving subjects with a D70 which led to the question. I am at work now and will have look the camera over when I get home.
    vt1122 wrote:
    How did you like the Sigma 120-300?
    I loved it. It came from the used parts bin at Penn Camera. The 70 to 200 was booked (they showed me) when I walked in and they let me try this one as this was my third trip back in three weeks. I bought the lense after seeing my shots and doing a little reading (thankyou DGrin search button). With the extra distance it fits my needs better than the 70-200. I still have a lot to learn below are some shots:

in this shot I was after the black boat
    287627926_idKYK-L.jpg

in this shot I was after the red boat:
    286405279_84cWb-L.jpg

Camera data can be found on the second page using the link below.
    http://dac.smugmug.com/gallery/3483999_PwU73#196168236_nmEU9

John
  • vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    The first shot looks like the boat you are focusing on is to far away to get a shallow enough depth of field to blur the background and first boat, even at 2.8. You could shoot at f5.6 or maybe f8 to get everything in focus.
    What do you have the cameras focus settings on? I usually use AFC with center area or dynamic area for moving subjects.
  • DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    vt1122 wrote:
    The first shot looks like the boat you are focusing on is to far away to get a shallow enough depth of field to blur the background and first boat, even at 2.8. You could shoot at f5.6 or maybe f8 to get everything in focus.
    What do you have the cameras focus settings on? I usually use AFC with center area or dynamic area for moving subjects.
    Thanks David,
    In the past had trouble with AFC, and any auto focus at all, at autocrosses becuase of stuff passing through the field of view as I follow the subject. I started using manuel focus and single point focus (sorry about the settings name, the camera is not here). For these shots I select a point near the bow, let the camera focus and then shoot to get the rest of the boat. I may have to try AFC again now that I have faster glass. I have no trouble with slower moving and stationary subjects (but that would be landscapes)
    John
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    You might also look at renting the Nikon 70-300VR, Its a bit more friendly to the wallet at $480.