Mexican Fire Opal

garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited April 27, 2008 in Holy Macro
My secretary at work collects gemstones and gave me this one for a rainy day. Lighting was very difficult on this stone due to all the facets. They capture a lot of color if rotated under the sun, even though they are clear. They are also tough to keep clean. This one was only out for a few minutes and already had dust on it.

2418957505_9c07c9bfd8_b.jpg
Gary
Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    That is one beaut of a stone!!!! Great capturethumb.gifthumbbowdown.gifbow

I have been to hundreds of gem shows and that is my first Mexican Fire opal....have seen tons of it from Austrailia and seen literally tons of Fire Agate from Mexico......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    This month's Rangefinder magazine has an excellent article on lighting for jewelery. Very difficult to do.

Z.

It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Amazing colours in it :) well captured
    Brian V.-
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    garyt wrote:
    My secretary at work collects gemstones and gave me this one for a rainy day. Lighting was very difficult on this stone due to all the facets. They capture a lot of color if rotated under the sun, even though they are clear. They are also tough to keep clean. This one was only out for a few minutes and already had dust on it.

Beautiful colours, the Fire Agate also yield exquisite colours,
    as does Bolder Opal from Australia.

Interesting how the stone throws off so much colour,
    yet it hasn't thrown any onto the background surface.

Lovely shot, awesome colours clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin