Eli

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited April 28, 2008 in People

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Perfect!!!

To be very nitpicky....

You may have it cropped too close to his ear. If this were to be framed, you would have a tough time keeping all of that ear in view as some would be hidden by the matte or frame. Give yourself just a tad more room.

If that was with your 85mm there is definately nothing to complain about!!!
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    I like the shot. But I'm really picky about lighting. So I'll tell you what jumped out at me. Not to bash the shot, hopefully it's received constructively like I intend it :D

Hair light is focused too tightly in one spot. Looks like you used a snoot. Try using a barn door to help spread the light across the head. If you used a barn door, there are other tricks you can use to spread light and avoid lens flair. *More later if needed.

The light field from the two lights in front.. One should be a main light and one should be a fill. It looks like both lights are main lights though and set at the same power. Try adjusting one of the lights to 1/4 of whatever the other lights power is set at. This will help give some more clues of depth by giving some shadow. *i.e. main light is at 50%, set the fill light to 25%

HTH

PS: I think the crop is too close too, but I've seen that in other shots you've posted (as well as your avatar) so I figure that's jsut part of your style.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    I'm just wondering why the catchlights are different colors. ne_nau.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Perfect!!!

To be very nitpicky....

You may have it cropped too close to his ear. If this were to be framed, you would have a tough time keeping all of that ear in view as some would be hidden by the matte or frame. Give yourself just a tad more room.

If that was with your 85mm there is definately nothing to complain about!!!

Good point. I hadn't noticed that.
    edited April 26, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I like the shot. But I'm really picky about lighting. So I'll tell you what jumped out at me. Not to bash the shot, hopefully it's received constructively like I intend it :D

Hair light is focused too tightly in one spot. Looks like you used a snoot. Try using a barn door to help spread the light across the head. If you used a barn door, there are other tricks you can use to spread light and avoid lens flair. *More later if needed.

The light field from the two lights in front.. One should be a main light and one should be a fill. It looks like both lights are main lights though and set at the same power. Try adjusting one of the lights to 1/4 of whatever the other lights power is set at. This will help give some more clues of depth by giving some shadow. *i.e. main light is at 50%, set the fill light to 25%

HTH

PS: I think the crop is too close too, but I've seen that in other shots you've posted (as well as your avatar) so I figure that's jsut part of your style.

The hair light is an additional flash--430ex. I think it would look better if I had two--one on each side. I think before I do that, I am going to experiment with some other kind of white lights.

I totally agree with the key/fill light. That was my observation about what needs to be improved--a bit of shadow to creat a 3d effect.

Thanks for the input. don't worry about offending me. I am trying to go from hobbiest to semi-pro and know I have a lot to learn.
    edited April 26, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I'm just wondering why the catchlights are different colors. ne_nau.gif

hmmm. I have no idea on that one. there are some overhead lights that I thought would have been totally lost in 3 flashes. And, they are overhead, so who knows?
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Cute fella, some really great advice listed here. Some I am taking note of. :D
    Ryan McGill

My Gear