Eyes

camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited April 4, 2005 in People
Unretouched other than cropping. Shot with a D70, 50mm f/1.4 and spot-metered for her eyeball.

DBP-ESPShoot-032605-0572-C.photo

Comments

• fourseasonsfourseasons Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    cambler wrote:
    Unretouched other than cropping. Shot with a D70, 50mm f/1.4 and spot-metered for her eyeball.
    Good job cambler,
    I like her expression and the cacthlight add some extra points.
    Just a friendly comment though, I realized that the hair is more in focus than the eyes, so it appears like a missfocused photo. Perhaps it's better to make it soft focus all around?
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    Its a great shot with great lighting, but I do notice the hair is more focused than the eyes also. I am hopeless with photoshop, and I have never used a Nikon, but I know the camera will try to focus on the hair as it is closer to us than the eyes- same problem you get when people are wearing hats. With the Canon I use the locking focusing points, get a focus on the eyes and drag the shot back, and if there is a function like this on the Nikon I'd try a reshoot as this is a really great shot. In fact, my husband just walked past and said "Wow, that's a sexy shot!"
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    Perfect excuse to fly the model out here to Seattle :D

I'm wondering if I unsharp-mask for the eyes, and then apply a lens filter across the hair if I can fake a focus change. Might be a good bit of practice for me...
    edited April 4, 2005
    I read a thread somewhere about focusing and recomposing with the 1.4 lens, I think it's in here somewhere by one of the moderators. Basically, with the super thin depth of focus of the 1.4 it's very hard to keep the focus in the right place if you shift the lens somewhere else to recompose (I'm sure you knew that already 1drink.gif ).

If you do the photoshop, please show us the result, I for one wants to know how it can improve the photo as well.

perhaps you can play with shadows, create somekind of vigneting around the model, thus leading the attention to the eyes?
    best of luck,

cambler wrote:
    Perfect excuse to fly the model out here to Seattle :D

I'm wondering if I unsharp-mask for the eyes, and then apply a lens filter across the hair if I can fake a focus change. Might be a good bit of practice for me...
  • camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    Okay, reprocessed (and pulled the crop out a little bit to show more depth on the background, adding to the illusion that the eyes are more in focus). Fixed? You tell me...

ESPShoot-032605-0572-C2.jpg
    edited April 4, 2005
    cambler wrote:
    Okay, reprocessed (and pulled the crop out a little bit to show more depth on the background, adding to the illusion that the eyes are more in focus). Fixed? You tell me...
    Difinitely help