Shutter lag on G9?

TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
edited April 27, 2008 in Cameras
My wife refuses to use the 30D because it's too heavy, but now that we have the dSLR, she hates the shutter lag on our 2 P&S cameras. Since everyone on here has such a high opinion of the G9, I started to do some research. The one thing that I cannot find on a consistant basis is the shutter lag of the G9. I have seen some sites that show it as high as 1 second all the way down to .2 seconds. So for anyone that has the G9, what have your experiences been with the shutter lag? I know that the consumer cameras will never get to the level of dSLR as far as speed because it would impact sales too heavily, but are they anywhere near each other?
My Kit
Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    I've noticed that the focus on it is a lot slower as opposed to my 30d, but once it has focus, it snaps.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    This site measures lag time (as do others). You can compare the G9 to other cameras.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 27, 2008
    The G9 is not a DSLR, it is a Point and Shoot, and it definitely is slower to aquire AF than any recent DSLR. That is a fact. The G9 is far better at landscape and architectural studies than shooting sports or childrens portraits. This limits the usefullness of the EOS flash system also, because of the delay in the shutter when shooting candid shots under ETTL flash.

The G9 does offer the ability to shoot in Manual focus mode - that is you manually set the focus distance you want to shoot before lifting the camera to your eye. I have seen some dynamite skiing actions shots captured in this manner with a G9. Once in manual focus, the shutter lag should be less, but in my hands it is still far slower than a DSLR. And there is no remote release capability either.

We still have not gotten the APS sensored range finder with fast AF and the noise level of a 40D. I believe we will get there, but I am getting tired of waiting:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Yeah, don't buy the G9 just to solve shutter lag issues. It might be better than some but, as Pathfinder mentioned, it is a point and shoot. That said, it is one of the most capable point and shoot cameras available. It's a tool, and different tools need to be used different ways. I have a G9 and a DSLR, and it's great to be able to stuff the G9 in a coat pocket or briefcase or put it on my belt or whatever for times when the DSLR would just get in the way too much. In addition to manually focusing, pre-focusing and waiting for the action can also help reduce shutter lag.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 27, 2008
    I always take my G9 with me, even if I am packing a DSLR also.

I love it for capturing signs and interesting things I see throughout the day. It is great for spontaneous macros too.

It is a good pano shooter on a small tripod. Marc Muench had a lovely 3 frame pano from his G9 in his gallery that was about 20 inches by 3-4 feet. I printed a 16x20 in shot of the Mission in Santa Barbara shot with my G9.

Like flyingpylon said, a craftsmen needs to understand the strengths and weaknesses of his tools and choose accordingly.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Thanks all. David, great site. Was really helpful.

I have no plans on replacing my 30D with the G9. I just need to get a camera for my wife that she will use. When I had an XT with the kit 18-55 lens on it, her first comment was "Wow, this is pretty big". Now with the 30D with grip, 17-55 IS and 580 on it, she refuses to get anywhere near it. So there are a total of 2 pictures of me with my son :). Also, since she is pregnant and our son is 2, he is running around like a banshee. It's just not practical for me to drag my kit along with me when I need to be running after him, so the G9 will allow me to have some of the creative functions of the DSLR (RAW capture, usable manual mode, etc.) while having the convenience of a P&S (size, etc.) The main reason that I got into the DSLR was because I was sick and tired of missing all those great shots of my son with the 1 second plus shutter lag. I don't expect the G9 to stand up to my 30D, but looks like the best possible solution for my scenario.

Thanks again all.
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
    Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
    Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex