Nikkor 35mm f2 D....

BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
edited April 30, 2008 in Cameras
Wondering what your opinions are on this lens used on a D50 as a walk around fixed lens, for street photography, travel, and portrait-like stuff...I understand that on my crop body, this will be as close to a 50mm as i can get, and I used to like a 50 on a film camera!

thanks!

B
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 27, 2008
    While I really appreciate the flexibility of modern zooms, prime lenses still have that "it" factor in the images.

If you like primes, this is a very good one.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    While I really appreciate the flexibility of modern zooms, prime lenses still have that "it" factor in the images.

If you like primes, this is a very good one.

Well, i do! I find that my nifty fifty f1.8 is always on my camera, but i do find it a little long after the crop factor for a walk around lens. I enjoy photographing people rather than landscapes; would the 35mm be suitable for candids and such?
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
    edited April 27, 2008
    Briggie wrote:
    ... would the 35mm be suitable for candids and such?

It can be, but it depends greatly on the circumstances. I almost never use primes for event or social photography. The only time is at a wedding during the ceremony when I might use a 50mm, f1.4, wide open and at f2.

Zooms are just sooo good now days, I use them for their instant compositional capabilities most of the time.
    ziggy53
    edited April 27, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    It can be, but it depends greatly on the circumstances. I almost never use primes for event or social photography. The only time is at a wedding during the ceremony when I might use a 50mm, f1.4, wide open and at f2.

Zooms are just sooo good now days, I use them for their instant compositional capabilities most of the time.

You have a point... i'm just debating between the 35mm or a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 i think it is, for my next glass investment! So many lenses, so little money! :D They are both in about the 400-600$ price range!

right now i have a 18-55mm kit lens, the 50mm f1.8, and a 70-300mm f4.5 vr. given what i've already got, and my penchant for primes, do you think the 35mm would be a worthy addition?

My Smug Gallery
    edited April 27, 2008
    Yes, the Nikkor 35mm, f2D is a very worthy lens, but I would recommend, in pretty much this order (based on what you have):

Tamron SP 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF)
    Tamron SP 28-75mm, f/2.8 XR Di LD-IF

... as more versatile tools. Coupled with a decent flash (properly used) they are nice for the usual family stuff and even paying work.

I like the fixed focal length lenses for more "planned" shoots or difficult lighting or short DOF applications.
    ziggy53
  • InspireInspire Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 28, 2008
    If I said it was junk would you sell it to me? :D

Yep, that is an awesome lens for a whole lot more than just steet photography.
    edited April 28, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Yes, the Nikkor 35mm, f2D is a very worthy lens, but I would recommend, in pretty much this order (based on what you have):

Tamron SP 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF)
    Tamron SP 28-75mm, f/2.8 XR Di LD-IF

... as more versatile tools. Coupled with a decent flash (properly used) they are nice for the usual family stuff and even paying work.

I like the fixed focal length lenses for more "planned" shoots or difficult lighting or short DOF applications.

Also, I'm someone who dislikes using flashes... I have an SB600, and know to bounce and stuff, but I have a huge attraction to available light photography, and tend to always be in the single digit apertures! (hence my love affair with the 50mm 1.8! iloveyou.gif)... given that, i think maybe i'm leaning toward the prime! Nice thing about the Tam 28-75 though, is that it's a constant 2.8 through the zoom, if I'm not mistaken...

What about the 17-50?

My Smug Gallery
    edited April 28, 2008
    Seymore wrote:
    I also concur that the Nikkor 35/2 is a good focal length as a walk around. I've had a MF MIR 35/2 and Nikkor Series E 35/2.5 on my D200 for a while and found it quite pleasing @ this focal length.

BTW, I do also like my primes. I find they do open ones eyes to the surroundings and make you think of your composure. Quite beneficial when it comes thinking outside the box...

15524779-Ti.gif ... have you ever used this lens on your D200 for portrait work? Like, outside stuff, on location? I'd like to know what you think of its usability for this type of application. How much distortion would one get on closeups?

My Smug Gallery
    edited April 28, 2008
    Inspire wrote:
    If I said it was junk would you sell it to me? :D

Yep, that is an awesome lens for a whole lot more than just steet photography.

:D....

My Smug Gallery
    edited April 28, 2008
    Briggie wrote:
    ... What about the 17-50?

Yes, the Tamron SP 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF) is a constant aperture f2.8 and usable wide open. Very sharp by f4.
    ziggy53
    edited April 28, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Yes, the Tamron SP 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF) is a constant aperture f2.8 and usable wide open. Very sharp by f4.

Thanks for all your info, Ziggy! It's so difficult to decide what to add to a gig bag!!headscratch.gif

My Smug Gallery
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    I just bought a 35mm f/1.4 last week for this same reason. I take a lot of photos to document my work, which is an environment that is hostile to flash. Even an f/2.8 with IS is woefully slow in the kinds of lighting conditions I find myself in. I prefer to have both primes and zooms and choose them for the right job. Now if I could only choose wisely!

Good luck.
    edited April 30, 2008
    Seymore wrote:
    There are links in my previous post to the albums for the lenses. But no... no portrait stuff with the 35mm, so I can't really speak to this aspect. Sorry. I prefer to use my AF zooms for outdoor ports.

Most of my work is outdoors and like you... even though I have a SB-800, I also prefer natural light shots. But I prefer to shoot a bit longer when shooting people. Like the MF Nikkor 105/2.5 you can see HERE. Nikon buts alot of engineering into almost all their MF lenses from the past. And with this, I think you'll luv the 35mm focal length.

Just get it and give it a try. If it's not for you, I'm sure you'll be able to find a new owner with very little problem.

Yeah, i've heard a lot of people prefering the longer lenses for portraits, but i'd like to get something i can use in more situations... hence the wider angle! I guess you're right! I shouldn't have too much trouble getting rid of it if its not my thing!

Thanks!!
    B

My Smug Gallery