Floating in a Cloud

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited April 28, 2008 in People
I haven't favored you with a photo of my youngest grandson in several months. Here he is floating in a cloud of cashmere roving

286037089_uUvnE-XL.jpg.

I wish I'd used the 50mm 1.8. With the 18-70, at 5.6 and 1/30th, I wasn't steady enough to avoid a bit of softness. You can see the camera shake in the left eye catchlights. Oh well. Still, printed at 11x14 it really looks good. :lust
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    I'd say he is snug as a bug!!! A very endearing photograph. Thanks for sharing!
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Wonderful clap.gif
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    I haven't favored you with a photo of my youngest grandson in several months. Here he is floating in a cloud of cashmere roving

I wish I'd used the 50mm 1.8. With the 18-70, at 5.6 and 1/30th, I wasn't steady enough to avoid a bit of softness. You can see the camera shake in the left eye catchlights. Oh well. Still, printed at 11x14 it really looks good. iloveyou.gif

Great photo and expression.... he looks so happy...:D
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Icebear posted:

"I wish I'd used the 50mm 1.8. With the 18-70, at 5.6 and 1/30th, I wasn't steady enough to avoid a bit of softness. You can see the camera shake in the left eye catchlights. Oh well. Still, printed at 11x14 it really looks good. iloveyou.gif"

Many times photographers, in the quest for technical excellence, can loose site of what is really important. The important issue here is not technical perfection, but the subject, and the moment. In many cases the moment / event only happens once, and can not be recreated or repeated.

The professional, and amateur photographer with experience, and skill can preserve this moment with quality that will convey the emotion, and flavor of that moment for a lifetime.

You can do no more.

Sam
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    He's adorable and this is a great moment you've captured! If it looks good at 11 x 14, I wouldn't worry too much. I deal with shakiness, too...it's disappointing, but since family is my priority I only have them (and myself) to please and they are in awe of my work. :D
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    bump.

The pic should work well at 5x7 or 8x10.

saurora wrote:
    He's adorable and this is a great moment you've captured! If it looks good at 11 x 14, I wouldn't worry too much. I deal with shakiness, too...it's disappointing, but since family is my priority I only have them (and myself) to please and they are in awe of my work. :D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    This photo is so good on so many levels that I wouldn't worry about a bit of camera shake. And, at the size provide, I would not have know about it had you not mentioned it.

I' not much into baby photos, but this is one of the best I've seen in a while. I like the way the color of the rovings match up to his skin coloring and look where his attention is - on you! DOF is perfect with that little bit of fall off in focus as you go deeper into the pile (and down to his belly :D). Yep, doesn't get much better than this and I'm sure Grandma and his parents are loving the photo.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Gee, thanks everybody. He's the happiest little guy.
    As for the softness, I probably would have done that in PP anyway.
    I just like to have a little control over the resultsmwink.gif .

Oh, for those wondering . . . WB was set in camera with an Expodisc, and not adjusted in post.
    Natural window light to camera left, with a white reflector to camera right.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Many times photographers, in the quest for technical excellence, can loose site of what is really important. The important issue here is not technical perfection, but the subject, and the moment. In many cases the moment / event only happens once, and can not be recreated or repeated.

The professional, and amateur photographer with experience, and skill can preserve this moment with quality that will convey the emotion, and flavor of that moment for a lifetime.

You can do no more.

Sam

WOW! Very well stated!!!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear