Yes Christmas in APRIL

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited April 28, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Well Kevin James is filming a movie, currently called "Mall Cop", in my local mall a couple of miles from me. They have all of the decorations and things out and do most of the filiming at night but I was at the mall getting some prints done and pulled out my new Canon 16-35L f2.8 and began to snap off a few shots...soon to be interrupted by the local mall security informing me that it was not okay for me to be doing, but this is one of the shots I got before I was chastised.

286068441_Ko4oW-XL.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Nice........and wide!!!!thumb.gif
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Nice........and wide!!!!thumb.gif

Yeah...and that has a ton cropped out :)...this new glass is frick'n tack sharp wooohoooo
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Actually.. you are allowed to take photos in the mall.

A mall is open to the public, therefore, is subject to photographs by individuals inside the mall. Unless the mall is closed for a certain reason, if you are allowed INSIDE the mall, then you are allowed to photograph things.
  • OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Vycor, I have to disagree with you, although I hate to.
    Everything I have heard and read says differently.

Malls are usually "privately owned" you enter it freely but just like any other Privately owned premis you have to play by their rules (whether they are posted or not). Now Its possible I have "read and heard" wrong, what is everyones .02 ? If on a public sidewalk take all the photos of the mall you want.
    Brad Fite :D
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
    Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
    Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff
    edited April 27, 2008
    Thats what I used to agree with, till I read this:

"You can take photos any place that's open to the public, whether or not it's private property. A mall, for example, is open to the public. So are most office buildings (at least the lobbies). You don't need permission; if you have permission to enter, you have permission to shoot. "

From Andrew Kantors article on USAToday.com
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-12-29-camera-laws_x.htm
    edited April 28, 2008
    Vycor wrote:
    Thats what I used to agree with, till I read this:

"You can take photos any place that's open to the public, whether or not it's private property. A mall, for example, is open to the public. So are most office buildings (at least the lobbies). You don't need permission; if you have permission to enter, you have permission to shoot. "

From Andrew Kantors article on USAToday.com
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-12-29-camera-laws_x.htm

I would guees however, with private property, the owners can reserve the right to ask you to leave at any time and ban you from the property and then have you arrested for tresspassing not picture taking.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited April 28, 2008
    Yeah.. i mean its touchy. I believe since its private property they can ask you to leave... but it is open to the public, its weird.

I know when i covered a story i walked through the mall taking photos and went outside. By that time security was starting to throw the news out. I had walked around the mall with a security guard just shooting the shit, so he wasnt throwing me out. But he was throwing everybody else out. The news channels shot from across the street.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Well Kevin James is filming a movie, currently called "Mall Cop", in my local mall a couple of miles from me. They have all of the decorations and things out and do most of the filiming at night but I was at the mall getting some prints done and pulled out my new Canon 16-35L f2.8 and began to snap off a few shots...soon to be interrupted by the local mall security informing me that it was not okay for me to be doing, but this is one of the shots I got before I was chastised.

Hi Randy, they've done a nice job on the scenery they're using for the film.
    Is it a comedy or something more serious?

Looks lovely and sharp to me too, you really pleased with your new lens aren't you...... great to hear thumb.gif
    Real nice shot, love that Christmas Scene ... SNOW clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited April 28, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Randy, they've done a nice job on the scenery they're using for the film.
    Is it a comedy or something more serious?

Looks lovely and sharp to me too, you really pleased with your new lens aren't you...... great to hear thumb.gif
    Real nice shot, love that Christmas Scene ... SNOW clap.gif ... Skippy :D

Hiya Skippy. I believe that it is a romantic comedy. Thanks as always for the kind words. I'm actually heading out to Dallas in a couple of days and I'm really excited to take my gear and see what I can do for some shots with the new wide glass clap.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Only 240 more shopping days till Christmas! Whoo-hoo!!!

If I take a photograph in a mall, I just try to be slick about it, get it done, and move on before I attract attention. There are some smart patrons in the mall, that may or may not know the "law" (including me), but still frown on a camera sweeping around their shopping experience. I'm not about making shoppers uncomfortable, or myself. Get the shot I want, in minimal time, and move on before causing a fruckus: Guerilla photography. rolleyes1.gif

My two cents.
    Growing with Dgrin