Son - Wife - Spring

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited April 6, 2005 in People
It was such a nice day on the 3rd of April....

18904332-L.jpg

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 4, 2005
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    i honestly said "wow" when i saw this pic, it's great.
    i would've maybe tried to get more of a downward angle to have only the flowers behind them, but still this is fantastic.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    Lovely image clap.gif
    Lucky Man thumb.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    Terrific shot...really thumb.gif Great subjects & colour.
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    I wish we had spring here too...
    (in fact last winter's days)
    Wonderful photo.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    Very nice. I'd try a touch of shadow/hightlight (zero shadow amount, positive hightlight amount) to soften the strong sunny areas on the kids face, especially nose. Afterward try a trip to LAB and symetric steepening of the A&B curves. This means just pulling in the endpoints of these curves by identical amounts. This will increase saturation in a very pleasing way, especially for vegatation and the red hair.
    If not now, when?
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    thanks
    Thanks to all of you for the kind remarks. We were at the park for a while and I just had to try a couple shots in the flowers. The reason I couldn't get any more top angle is because there were benches and several people just over the small hill. In a couple of the photos I took I caught people's heads above the flowers..... that makes for some strange looking flowers.

All in all it was pretty good being that this is how it looks right out of the ole Canon 20D. I've done nothing to it yet and I'm such a noob in PhotoShop all that jargon made me dizzy. I'll get there hopefully.

Thanks again
    kc7dji
    edited April 5, 2005
    Sorry for the jargon. But it isn't as hard as it must sound at first. Here is the shot after I did the things I suggested:

19004378-L.jpg
    (Original size here.)

The first thing I suggested was that use use the image->adjstments->shadow/highlights adjustment to bring the highlights more into range and recover some detail there. Here is the actual dialog I used to make this happen:

19004345-S.jpg

This got me about 90% of the way to the final result. But the nature of highlight/shadow is to lose a little contrast. So I wanted to recover that. Also the original imaged didn't have any true black areas. It helps a lot to have these; without them pictures look washed out, even more so when they are printed. Also I wanted the colors to be more, well colorful. So I moved the image into the LAB colorspace and use image->adjustments->curves and applied the following curves:

19004346-S.jpg19004343-S.jpg19004344-S.jpg

LAB and LAB curves probably seem very mysterious to a photoshop novice, but if there is one PS technique worth learning it's curves (OK, cropping, but it's a close call). LAB takes some real thinking at first, but the pain is well worth it. Take a look at this post:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2042
    If not now, when?
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Sorry for the jargon. But it isn't as hard as it must sound at first. Here is the shot after I did the things I suggested:

(Original size here.)

The first thing I suggested was that use use the image->adjstments->shadow/highlights adjustment to bring the highlights more into range and recover some detail there. Here is the actual dialog I used to make this happen:

This got me about 90% of the way to the final result. But the nature of highlight/shadow is to lose a little contrast. So I wanted to recover that. Also the original imaged didn't have any true black areas. It helps a lot to have these; without them pictures look washed out, even more so when they are printed. Also I wanted the colors to be more, well colorful. So I moved the image into the LAB colorspace and use image->adjustments->curves and applied the following curves:

LAB and LAB curves probably seem very mysterious to a photoshop novice, but if there is one PS technique worth learning it's curves (OK, cropping, but it's a close call). LAB takes some real thinking at first, but the pain is well worth it. Take a look at this post:

Wow that is beautiful. Thanks for all the info and the help. I'll play around with it and see what I can do.

kc7dji
    edited April 5, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:
    Wow that is beautiful. Thanks for all the info and the help. I'll play around with it and see what I can do.

kc7dji

You can probably do even better if you shot it in raw. See this post:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=87123
    If not now, when?
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    rutt wrote:

(Original size here.)

nice post rutt.. gotta get into that highlight shadows thing.. I just don't get it.. I'm sooo lazy.. got to get into lab color as well.. oy vey.. so much to do.. so little time..:D