Options

Who can fix a lens?

PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
edited April 29, 2008 in Cameras
I bought a Minolta "Beer Can" from KEH a few months ago. It had been working fine but on a trip this weekend the zoom started to "stick" (so that I couldn't zoom in or out past certain lengths). I applied a bit of pressure to it (not much, at least I thought), and it unstuck, but now it's broken and doesn't zoom in or out at all.

Who should I contact to see if it can be fixed, and is it even worth it for a $150 lens?

*Edit - A replacement from KEH would be $225

Comments

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Minolta? KEH? ne_nau.gif That's where I'd start.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited April 28, 2008
    I agree it would be best to contact KEH first and see if you can work with them.

If it's what I think that happened, a small screw has come loose (the one that drives the zoom, typically part of what is called the "zoom cam"). If the threads are not stripped then it's simple to repair as long as the screw has not entered the cavity of the lens.

If the screw has stripped or if the screw has drodded inside the lens, it gets more complicated (potentially expensive).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I agree it would be best to contact KEH first and see if you can work with them.

Per everyone's advice - I contacted KEH. They warranty their used equipment for 60 days - I'm on day 61. Bill at KEH said "I'm not going to sweat it over a day, send it in and we'll take care of it."

I'll let you know how this turns out but for now I'm really pleased. wings.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    Bill at KEH said "I'm not going to sweat it over a day, send it in and we'll take care of it."wings.gif
    That's really stand-up of them. Good on them.!
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    I'd honestly expect no less of KEH, even if they are technically within their rights to say, so sorry, one day too late. Good for them! thumb.gif Once again proving that it's a pretty safe bet buying used gear from them.